Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All in here. I just spent two hours in the "Search" part of this forum. For the last month my ," 99 9-3 base with some add on's " is having ignition issues. The radio stays on when key is taken out, and now will not start. The lock barrel would stay down after key is taken out. Do you guys think cleaning the lock assembly will remedy this or does it sound like the ignition switch. Also can I bypass the whole "twice" thing and just make it a push button start. :confused:

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
agreed with above - but yes, removal of lock cylinder, good cleaning and proper grease will make it work 100x's better. You could try a quick lube job with PB blaster with it IN the car to see if it'll free up if you arent up for the removal portion. As for in-op ignition for starting - it COULD be the switch beneath, but I would start with cleaning the cylinder.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
If you have to pull the cylinder, its not fun, but there's worse things you could have to do. Took me about two hours to remove and reinstall mine when I got the car with a bad ignition.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
^ if you know how and have good hose pick tools it can be OUT in less then 30 minutes EASY - cleaning and lube is about another 15-20 minutes to do it nice and Reinstall is about 15 minutes.
+1 for cleaning the ignition as a start

Half an hour would be very quick... although I am sure it could be done. Realistically plan on spending at least 2 hours doing the whole thing.

·
Registered
465 Posts
+1 for cleaning the ignition as a start

Half an hour would be very quick... although I am sure it could be done. Realistically plan on spending at least 2 hours doing the whole thing.
you dont even have to pull the shift housing to clean the locking mech, just pull the cup holder then the center piece. may have to pull the piece around the shifter and up the front. stick the key in and turn it to on, then wedge a hose pick in and pull the cyl out. it really is easy to get out, ignition on the other hand, well i had mine out enough to modify the side so you can take the shift rod off easy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the advice. I finally got the lock assembly out and got the car started with a screwdriver. I think this should be known, I was relieved that I could at least move the car while I fixed the cylinder. As long as you keep the key in the antenna ring you can start and drive the car. I brought the lock in and found out that its just all gummed up. The graphite is everywhere. The problem with mine is that when I rotate the key to the left to the off position the cylinder inside wasnt popping up with the key when removed. I actually just soaked the whole thing in sea foam and it loosened up nicely. I'm going to go put it back and see if it works.

P.S it still will not work. it seems that the ignition part under the lock is sitting too far down and the cylinder does not make contact. It is all loose and wobbly in there.. Do I have to replace the ignition assembly or could it be the battery in the key, I say this because while starting the car with a screwdriver I tape the key to the antenna ring and sometimes it still says key not accepted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts