Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
97 900SET with a tale of woe....

Wife and I left work last night (we carpool together a couple of times a week). Started the car and the dreaded warning triangle symbol goes on, along with the battery symbol. It's raining like crazy, 10 pm., so I decided to drive the 45 miles home. Stopped once for gas and to check the tension of the serp belt. Tight. Turned car back on and the light is still on, so I turned the cabin fan off, went to black panel and kept the wipers on slow...just in case.

Everything was fine until about 10 miles from home, when, on a major highway, I notice that the wipers are slowing ever so slightly -- and the lights are slightly dimmer.

About 7 miles from home, we hear a couple of warning bing-bongs and the ABS light goes on, followed by the check gearbox and check engine lights. Outside, it's raining so hard the wipers can barely keep up.

About 5 miles from home the headlights are at half-strength, but I'm close to my exit and press on. Other drivers are flashing their lights because they can barely see me. My exit comes up, and I signal to exit but there are no lights.

About 2.5 miles from home, my lights are gone. I pass a police cruiser but, curiously, it doesn't stop. My wife is wiping the condensation from the windshield, I'm straining to see the road, and there's a series of blind curves ahead.

We make it to the end of our street and the engine dies. I still have steering so I make the turn onto our street...and have just enough momentum to coast the 1/10th of a mile down the street and into my driveway.

So....I know my battery's dead, but I have a spare in the garage. I'm wondering whether I need a whole new alternator, or if I can just change the brushes...or if the voltage regulator could have been shorted out by the heavy rain (I hit a huge puddle on the drive into work and I'm sure some water crept into the engine compartment.)

Any tips or hints? Anyone else have a similar problem?

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Definately sounds like an alternator. Id search for a used one.

PS..I too was on the edge of my seat wondering if you'd get home lol. I'm glad you did.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys....

So I woke up this morning, switched batteries and the same nasty messages pop up. I was about to call around to find a rebuilt unit, or about to switch with our other 97 SET. My wife, who, more often that not, wears the intelligence pants in the family, reminds me that:
a) the other Saab is on jackstands in the garage
b) we're in the middle of a three-day Nor'easter -- wind, rain, sleet, etc.

So...I nursed it to my local indie and he's handling the patient from here...

There goes the new intercooler! :evil:

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
No, not at all. It likes like thats what you need. Im sure you can give him a call to find another one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts