Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought it off E-bay, its dark green and only 55,000 miles. I always considered buying one, but I always ended up with different cars (audi 5000T, 944, 944T,300zx, Jeep Grand cherokee). My last car was a 91 eclipse gsx, which was fun (but only 13.1 sec @ 99mph in the quarter mile- after some modifications) but I am groing out of that phase and maturing on to the 93- more practical (4doors, automatic, better gas mileage, regular octane only).

I also have a 92 3000GT VR4 (hence 93vr4 for my handle) that is being build from the ground up for racing purposes (drag, then autocross/roadcoarse) so I needed a more friendly daily driver. But I am already lloking up the sites to improve performance for the 93- heh,heh :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
awesome - welcome to TSL! Always happy to see someone who's been into all sorts of other cars, and then found there way to Saab. You won't be dissapointed. be sure to put high octain in her to really take advantage of that turbo tho, not sure what you meant by "regular octane only" but any turbo car as you already know I'm sure, should run, well does run best on 92-94 octaine - unless higher is available. In anycase - enjoy your new car - and post some pictures! :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. The seller said for regular daily driving, it was designed to run on 87 octane and that putting 93/94 octane would only lead to burnt valves, is that true?? First time I heard of such a thing. But, yeah, once I do go with bigger turbo, etc , I will definitely run 93/94 octane. Besides an ECU chip, what else has been used for fuel+ignition control (ie Apexi AVC, ATI).

·
Registered
352 Posts
welcome to tsl!
i will attest to the fact that normal jdm mods do not work on a saab, i have tried using an apexi afc to control the air/fuel mixture and i would always throw check engine lights, the blitz dual solenoid ebc i have has been working fairly well although i'm not boosting more than stock for now...the best way to gain hp is starting with an intake and exhaust then bigger turbo. myself and PaulH are going to be running megasquirt, it is a complete ems that you put in that replaces the stock ecu so no more of that silly trionic stuff. btw, trionic is the ems that controls the saab, a/f, etc....
btw, i also have a '99 9-3

saabvos

w00t, 100th post!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Saabvos- thanks for the info. We have to get together one of these days- should be easy, were both in NY. The car is being delivered today, Monday, as I'm typing this post. How much is the megasquirt, and is it complicated to use (like the AEM EMS, I needed a computer tuner to tune the 3000gt)?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Just wanted to say welcome to the site and good luck with your new car!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Welcome to TSL. Glad to see you have such a large interest in cars. This place is the best for good ol fashioned fun with swedish mechanics mix in. ENjoy 8)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. The car was delivered today, but DMV was closed today for Columbus day , so I have to wait one more excruciating day before she can be driven. AARGH !!!! :?

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Welcome, Welcome!!

I have a friend in Iowa that has a 3000GT, its badged as a VR4, but of course it isn't. I absolute love them....quite a powerhouse. While helping out in a shop there was a JDM 3000GT badged as a GTO, with a gutted interior, full 3" exhaust and intake. Other than that it was stock with the twin little snail shells under the hood.

I definately hope you plan to upgrade the turbos on that cause the stock ones i have to say are pretty sorry ;)

So good to have ya, and keep us posted on both the Saab and the Project VR4. 8)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Blaque out- Thanks. I defintely have upgraded turbos, the biggest that could physically fit. The rear turbo touches both the valve cover and the firewall (had to put polyuerthane motormounts to keep them from moving to much). The turbos are equivalent to Forced Performance 3065 ball bearing turbos (garrett) which flow 65lb of air (equal to 650 hp) per turbo, I've got twins :twisted: .
I plan on enjoying the 93 stock for a while, till my bank account recuperates, then maybe put one of those FP3065 turbo in. What horsepower level can the auto tranny handle???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts