Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought the car it was obvious that the changer had been removed. I would like to get a new one but use the same wires. I would like to be able to use the controls on the original head unit but after looking into this it seems as though it may be impossible. I do not want to get one from a dealer. I would like the changer to play mp3's and that is my only requirement. Is clarion the only saab compatible changer and if so do the make one that plays mp3s? I cant seem to find any 9-3 changers for sale and $500 from a dealer is a no go. Is there any way to use the steering wheel controls with something other than clarion? I dont have any tapes and the radio got old about 20 min after I got the car, what am I gonna do?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have seen all of those, do they work for the 9-3? They have all come out of the ng900. If I cant find something that works with the controls I will end up changing the head unit. As of now I am looking at my options.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
I believe you'll have to get a divorced cd player or one that a mechanic can divore and have them use a Tech tool to unit the radio to the 6 disk in the trunk. Your car should already be wired. It is not just a plug and play type of thing. You also can not just get any 6 disk to through in the back either

·
Registered
352 Posts
i have a 9-3 with 6 cd changer, i remember putting some burned cd's in the player and they worked fine....i just can't remember if those were cd's full of mp3's or copies of my good cd's with the format *.cda, as for wiring, one of the plugs that goes in the back of radio is for the 6cd in the trunk

btw, i have a double din tape deck in the front, not cd player

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After looking around for way too long I have found out a little more. From what I have read it was Pioneer that made there stereos for the 9-3 and clarion for the 900. My question to you saabvos is, what is the exact model # of the changer in your trunk. If I get that exact model there should be no reason why I cant just plug and play, right? I also found out that the dealer charges $500 plus install, man thats a fucking joke. Car dealers really piss me off. I once had to leave a VW van at the dealer for 2 mo cause they went $1300 over what I said they could. Ever since I have developed a strong hatred for them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts