Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. Trying to remove the tamper resistant Torx bolts to install the plug.

First question is why are these tamper resistant?

Second: Is why are they so dam tight! I got the rear one out, but broke my socket at the base of the insert! Sheared the bastard right off! So much for Snap On being a superior product!

Third: Any suggestions? I have some PB soaking on it right now...

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
you don't need to remove the cap to replace the thing. just use a socket, extension and a hammer.

tap it in, but just far-enough to cover the oil passages. too far, and you'll leave them uncovered, and make a mess. Just use a thin run of RTV to keep it from leaking in the future.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
FYI - Craftsman tamper-proof torque sockets are one time use only.... lol I still have to take mine back to warranty it. I had to remove the plug as I have a VAC pump which I had to install for an automatic car. You can "break" the tit out of the bolt, but I think it's just easier to buy the right tool...

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
tap it in, but just far-enough to cover the oil passages. too far, and you'll leave them uncovered, and make a mess. Just use a thin run of RTV to keep it from leaking in the future.
Thats what I did when I took out my dizzy.

FYI - Craftsman tamper-proof torque sockets are one time use only.... lol I still have to take mine back to warranty it. I had to remove the plug as I have a VAC pump which I had to install for an automatic car. You can "break" the tit out of the bolt, but I think it's just easier to buy the right tool...
Yup, same thing happened to me.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I used a Wiha security Torx bit when I replaced my plug. No breaks, but I do remember the screws being ridiculously tight. I ended up reusing the old plug and using a new one. I turned the original around so the flat side is facing out, right on the edge, and put the new one in right next to it. They're both sealed up with RTV silicone sealant.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. Still can't believe they are torqued so high!

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
DeLorean is good for words of wisdom and words to live by. I do credit him for creating the work Crazed. I have seen that quoted in HS&E reffering to an ebay listing before. One of DeLoreans few self made words which caught on a little.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
DeLorean is good for words of wisdom and words to live by. I do credit him for creating the work Crazed. I have seen that quoted in HS&E reffering to an ebay listing before. One of DeLoreans few self made words which caught on a little.
wut?

·
7,595 Posts
I am mystified by why those would ever need to be removed... Also, I did not invent the word, I merely popularized it.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
even still, it shouldn't have to come off.
my lpt replacement head was from an a/t, too.
I just un-bolted the thing, and pushed in the plug.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am mystified by why those would ever need to be removed... Also, I did not invent the word, I merely popularized it.
Those screws need to be removed by those of us wanting to permanently stop that plug from leaking all over the place. And that's a lot of us. Eventually, just about every owner of one of these engines experiences leakage there. The plugs come loose over time, or warp slightly. It's a terrible design, and it's made worse by the fact that they chose to use tamper-proof screws there.

I know, I know - just throw some RTV around the plug and it will be taken care of. I prefer not to apply a band-aid solution that will need to be reapplied periodically. Getting those screws off and applying a sealant to the inside of the plug would get us closer to a permanent fix.

Hammering out the plug from the inside of the head, with the valve cover off, is not easy. There's barely enough room to get a socket in there, and less even to hit it with a hammer. Hammering the plug out may damage it, moving this problem from the realm of irritating to nearly un-fixable mess. Hammering it in is not much better really, does not guarantee a good seal.

But I guess it's our only choice, eh?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
The torx bolts have thread locker on them. That why they are so tight. I got mine out.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
After I broke the bit in my brand new set of security Torx that I bought just to take these out I grabbed them by the outside with visegrips and turned them out that way.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts