Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine, as well a customer has recently purchased some new tires for his Fondmetal 17" wheels on his 2003 9-5 Aero Wagon. He opted for the upgraded size of 235/45/17 - they they look great! Problem is - now there has been recent rubbing on turns while hitting a bump. Recently the front tires caught a clip in the front wheel liner and bent it downward. I recall 9-3's having these same issues when fitted with 17" or larger wheel and having to "roll" the fenders to correct. Has anyone attempted this on a 9-5? What does the process involve and what is needed to do so.

Car/Wheels:

Tires shown are a 225/45/17

·
Registered
395 Posts
thats weird i'm running my 5 spoke 18s on my aero and they have never rubbed even with 4 people in the car and a trunk full of goods when i went to carlisle in 09. and there 235/40/18. i think i remember chris had the same rubbing issue in his 9-5 aero with 17"s i dont think they changed anything from year to year.... who knows

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The offset on those Fondmetal wheels IS different from the oem "turbine" wheels he no longer has, but it's also the same offset with the RKII wheels he is having redone in the future - so he needs to get this resolved soon since both wheels he owns have the same offset.

The car still sits on Aero springs (might be getting lowered in the future) and Bilstien HD's all around. Car has 120K

·
Registered
406 Posts
I would recommend using Linear springs or using Koni struts and shocks ($$$) and setting them on the firm side...I did this for my old car and I had to set the Koni's about 75% firm to get the tires to stop rubbing over bumps when I used track tires that were wider than the OEM tires.

FYI...rolling the fenders is very very difficult and you need to use heat to heat up the sheet metal and very expensive...I think it would run about 1000.00 to have this done correctly.

Or you probably are smart enough to use this as well :)

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=52

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the solution is to run 225 tires.
I would tend to agree, however he has just purchased and had installed some 235's. I know I run 235's on our wagon, but on the Aero Turbine wheels - which seems to have less? offset then the two sets of wheels he owns. Again - he has Bilstien HD's on his car and I only have 1 set of adjustable Koni's on the rear set to 2 of 3 firm. Running a 235 on a 9-5 should NOT be a problem - but it seems the offset of those NESA and BBS RK2 rims will not allow it on Aero springs and firm suspension... If rolling fenders are such a costly task, perhaps I'll suggest he tries to sell those NESA wheels and tires off to someone and refurbish those RK2's he want's to do.

·
Registered
429 Posts
If rolling fenders are such a costly task, perhaps I'll suggest he tries to sell those NESA wheels and tires off to someone and refurbish those RK2's he want's to do.
That is what I would do. Also, suggest just putting those tires on the RKII's. I know that will fit for a fact.

PS.
I considered rolling my fenders at one point and I learned a lot about it in the process. What I learned was that our cars are NOT meant to have the fenders rolled and therefor I avoided it.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is what I would do. Also, suggest just putting those tires on the RKII's. I know that will fit for a fact.
Not sure on my friends source of facts - but he seems to think the offset of the current wheels as shown are the same exact as the RK2's - which would mean they too would rub. Anyone have other specs to confirm or dispute otherwise? If they are different and the RK2's would have no rub issues I will light the fuse and tell him to send them out to get re-done.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
FYI...rolling the fenders is very very difficult and you need to use heat to heat up the sheet metal and very expensive...I think it would run about 1000.00 to have this done correctly.

Or you probably are smart enough to use this as well :)

Tire Rack Fender Lip Rolling Tool
im not quite sure where you get your ridiculous information.

it is in no way difficult if you have any common sense. scary? sure. i have yet to find a shop that charges over 4-500 bucks to roll all 4 corners (7 or so shops ive spoken to), and on this car you would only need the rear 2 done. did i mention you can rent the tool as well as a heat gun for $50?

ill try, but i doubt my dad will go dig in the basement and uncover the fondmentals i have to check the offset.

regardless the car owner should have realized that dependent on tire of choice, going wider has a varying effect on sidewall, as well as again depending on the tire a 235 sidewall effectively "ballooning" because it is on too narrow a wheel i believe the fondmentals are only 7 wide, which winds up giving a 225 and a 235 almost an identical contact patch. if he had looked into it, he would have saved himself by going with a 235/40, if he was set on 235s, or the better choice of 225's.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I've had both 225's and 235's on my RKII's with no noticeable rubbing on either. They made no difference for me at all actually, with grip or anything. the 8'' tires just look a little better

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've run both 225/45/17 and 235/45/17 on my SAAB 3 Spoke Doubles, I have Koni's with H&R lowering springs that I bought from GenuineSAAB. I've had absolutely no rubbing issues at all with either tire and wtih the car fully loaded with 5 adults.

I'm assuming that the offset on the Fondmetals push them out just a little more than the SAAB wheels do. However for about 16 months I ran Fondmetal 5 spokes with my lowered suspension and 225/45/17 without a problem.

I think my next set I will revert back to 225/45/17's just because they look better on the rims, they don't bulge out as much.

These are Nokian NRY 235/45/17

·
Registered
406 Posts
I like the way the 235 looks on the wagon...I also like those wheels...probably my favorites of the Saab wheels...they are OE on the Cabrio right ?

FYI bodyshops in New England have very high labor rates and if you could find one to roll your fenders it would be 175+ and hour and probably take 4-5 hours if you want it done right.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.