Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After stopping into Napa today, they said one of their stores in town mixes custom cans of auto paint (any type..metallic or not) and makes it into an aerosol for $9.99 total including paint.

Im going to stop by and verify this tommorrow.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
:shock: good deal.... do all napa's do this though?

~justin

·
Registered
45 Posts
wow, 10 bucks is definitely a great deal!!! I bought a can of matched paint for my car from paintscratch.com for like $30. I thought that was reasonable because it's metallic colored. I used it so far to paint my spoiler to match the body color and it sort of matches :oops: I think it just needs way more clear coat and some buffing so the gloss is the same.

BlaqueOut, did they say if they'll mix the color and give it to you in actual containers so you can use your own spray equip??? I was thinking about getting a cheapo airbrush kit on ebay, but I always heard raw paint costs a fortune.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually they didn't say, but i'll ask tommorrow.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Greg, unless you're going to get a pretty nice painting rig or be happy with low quality and lots of post-paint work, you're probably just as well off with spray cans as with a cheap air gun.

On a similar subject, I've seen and used re-fillable spray paint cans a few times. Anyone else used them? I had one of them in high school for scale models. You put a small amount of your own paint in a little container, then attached an aerosol can to it and it worked like an off-the-shelf spray paint can, only with your own custom color in it. The thing was reusable, you just had to keep buying the aerosol canisters.

I'll search the web and see if I can dig up any info. I seem to remember that it worked very well. I doubt I still have it though. Might be an alternative to people who can't get the custom-made aerosol spray paint cans locally like Ced can. You could buy one of these systems and then just use dealer-supplied touch up paint. . .

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay I went to today to get the paint from Napa Auto Parts.

Total: $9.36 for a quart of spray paint.

It was a custom mixed can of base coat. The guys told me to get a base coat, and buy a can of clear coat...not have them mixed. When mixed its not as shiny as it is seperately.

They carry all the NG900 colors and can mix them up in 10 minutes.

I'll post pictures of the things I paint later. 8)

·
Registered
198 Posts
DriverFound: The devices you are referring to are called PreVal sprayers and cost around $4.00 or $5.00 US. They can be purchased many places. One in particular is the PorStore (Indiana I think) and can be had from them via UPS and their website.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ended up buying a can of base and clear coat w/ enamel and painted by valve and engine cover. It turned out really well, and the paint is not having any problems on the valve cover.

I highly reccomend the paint mixed with clear coat as it comes out REALLY nice and no need for clear coat what so ever.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unfortunately not. I think only the Collision Centers can do it.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
very nice and clean looking. great job! 8)

I like that color, too... kinda looks silver in the pics but it is that beige metallic, right?

very unique, excellent!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Blaque_Out said:
Okay I went to today to get the paint from Napa Auto Parts.

Total: $9.36 for a quart of spray paint.

It was a custom mixed can of base coat. The guys told me to get a base coat, and buy a can of clear coat...not have them mixed. When mixed its not as shiny as it is seperately.

They carry all the NG900 colors and can mix them up in 10 minutes.

I'll post pictures of the things I paint later. 8)
$10 for touch up is reasonable , say 4 oz.
But not for a quart - this is what I paid for interior house paint - latex !
Maybe you mean $9.36 for 8 oz, at most !

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My fault. Yea, definately not a quart.

Like I said its the same amount like if you go to Wal-Mart or an auto store and buy a large can of spray paint. Same exact amount.

·
Registered
461 Posts
hey ced i have the same like sand color saab as you could you buy me some paint from there then ship it to me up here in connecticut?

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
JStoops said:
hey ced i have the same like sand color saab as you could you buy me some paint from there then ship it to me up here in connecticut?
Unfortunately, Im not in Iowa anymore. I'm now in D.C. but if/when I go back, I'll be sure to let people know.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Actually in D.C. there's a Napa that mixes cans of auto spray paint by the pints or quarts. Takes about 10 minutes to do. For those around D.C. the number is:

Napa Auto Parts
2215 ADAMS PL. NE
WASHINGTON, DC 20002
(202)529-8800

JStoops- Check out Napa's website and find a Collision Center nearest to you. If they don't sell the paint there, they should be able to refer you to the closest store that does. Here's the website: http://www.napaautocare.com/Locator/storelocator.aspx

1 - 20 of 21 Posts