Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's how I spent most of my weekend. :roll:

I took my spare grill, and cut out the "grid" black plastic with my Dremel style rotary tool. I then primed and painted gloss black to darken up that plastic.

Then I sanded the chrome, cut the center Saab "wing" bar out with Dremel, to match the backing piece. Filled holes and imperfections with plumbers epoxy (thanks for the great tip on that Stuff, Blaque_out!). Sanded, primered with filling primer, then lightly sanded and primed with sandable auto primer.

Painted with glossy black laquer auto paint (at least 5 coats), followed by several coats of laquer clearcoat.

cut some mesh , inserted between front and back grill parts, and grill reassembled.

What do you think? I am pleased with how it came out!!!!
8)

I just hope the paint job holds up better than my last attempt at a painted grill! :lol: :lol: :lol:

If anyone thinks it would be helpful, I can post in the tutorial section with pics of each step of the process.

·
Administrator
668 Posts
ewwww whats that in my pants!??? it seems to be white and goey. bahahaha

That looks A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!!!!!!! GOOOOODDDDDDDDD job.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I think your car and mine are competing for the "darth vader look" award. . . :D

Looks good BTW. I like mods like that on dark cars. It's distinctive without being overbearing.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the feedback, guys. I will try and get some better pics once the car is clean and the sun is shining. these pics don't do it justice, the silver is way shiny and bright in the sun light. 8) 8) 8) Gotta have a little bit of bling!

nice freaking Audi, by the way, Driverfound.... :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Thanks. ;)

I've got a quick question. Did you use regular auto enamel, or did you use "bumper paint?"

I've talked to a few people who used "bumper paint" from a car parts store to paint their grilles, and they claimed that they had very good success with avoiding chips. Apperantly, this bumper paint stuff has additives to stand up to abuse better than regular enamel spray paint.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used Duplicolor glossy laquer paint and Duplicolor laquer clear coat.

(this after prep work ----sanded chrome, adhesion promoter (2 coats), sanadble filler primer (2 coats), then sandable duplicolor auto primer (1-2 very light coats))

I think my big problem last time was that I used no primer. :oops:

The guy at the auto parts store sold me some adhesion promoter stuff, he said it would be needed to get the paint to stick to the chrome, and would substitute for primer. I thought that sounded wrong, I should have trusted my instinct and got the primer, too.... :wink:

it also didn't help that I drove on the highway for 3 hours without letting it dry sufficiently. :oops: I was very excited to show off my new grill.....This time I waited longer before putting it on my car.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Thats looks reeeeally good. I'm glad it came out well. That plumber's epoxy was easy to work with huh/??? 8)

·
Registered
251 Posts
GIMME!!!!!!......lol that looks damn good, too bad my cars silver.....i dont really think it would look good painted on a silver car and i dont know a way to fill in the chrome again.....STOP TEASING ME WITH SHIT I CANT HAVE! :twisted: I have been wanting to do that, i saw it on maptuns site. It looks 10 times better than stock.
Driver, thats a nice audi also, u should get a new grill also, those chrome rings are ruining your darth vader look. I want a black car, but then i realized that im never gonna clean it and black attracts dirt :?......gotta clean it every day to keep it lookin good

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, thanks, and thanks for the comments.

Hey WS you could do it silver and use black mesh! or silver on silver, that could work, too! There is such a thing as chrome look spray paint if you want to try that, but maybe try it on a used grill...just in case it isn't what you expected.

Blaque_out, that epoxy stuff is my new best friend, I can think of 100 things to use it for now that I saw how easy it is to use!

So I posted this grill mod on SC, and of course, all the UK guys come out in force to let me know just how awful this looks! :roll: :roll: :roll: (and I got one comment and one PM from memebrs based here in USA saying "good job, looks nice"...

those UK guys are a trip. They make extra effort to tell people when they think things suck, (read: not plain and stale enough) rather than like here, where is people don't like something, they usually just dont post. Here, people make an effort to post if they like something, to give positive feedback. That's just one more reason why this site RULES!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

So stale, crusty, uptight and boring some of those chaps are! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: They said my car is now much less of a Saab because there is no wing!

their idea of cool mods are a plaid tartan flannel blanket to put on the rear hatch back cargo cover panel thing! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

must be aa culture thing, or maybe an age difference. I am sure when I am a dad someday I will probably think all the styles my kids are into are foolish! :oops:

·
Registered
45 Posts
haha, I saw the post o n SC too, can't beleive the difference in reaction. If you really want to get those UK guys mad, just change the Saab logo on the grill to a GM badge!!!!!

Oh, and two thumbs up on the grill 8)

·
Registered
584 Posts
WS said:
Driver, thats a nice audi also, u should get a new grill also, those chrome rings are ruining your darth vader look. I want a black car, but then i realized that im never gonna clean it and black attracts dirt :?......gotta clean it every day to keep it lookin good
It *is* a new grille (an aftermarket mesh grille made to more or less resemble the RS4 grille, but with tighter mesh.) The chrome rings are an add-on to that grille. They're smaller than the stock grille's rings. It looks really stupid without them, trust me. ;) The hood release latch is in the middle of the second ring from the left. If you take the rings off, there's nothing to camoflage it, so there's a hole (about the size of one of the rings) left right in the middle of the grille, it stands out pretty bad.

EDIT - for reference, here is a photo of a stock A4 grille:

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
yeah man i saw the post on sc to...im really startin to hate those uptight tea drinkers (lol that was mean) but yeah theyve been pissin me off with their comments when i post, or there lack of help atleast. They made a big deal cuz i asked if i should get some lightweight rims or some other performance stuff...they acted like it was a dumb question i hate that

1 - 18 of 18 Posts