Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I can't find any Coil Overs for Saab NG900 any ware. There has to be a way to take coil overs that go on some other car and implementing them on a Saab. I don't know too much about it, I'm installing a pair of coil overs on my friends GTI VR6. They have them for every other car even Volvo but not for Saab.

Yankton Tuned wants to do Custom Coil Over Suspension but he has not posted anything new. There must be somebody out there that knows what they are doing, and can help out in this section. I would love to have this for my car.

With my friends GIT VR6 it's sort of a competition between the both of us to see who can do more to their car and get it faster. So now he has coil overs and I don't and I need them.

But I would love to have them on my Saab but need some help can anybody help?

This link is forum posting I made of all the springs that I have found that fit Saab.
http://www.saablink.net/TSL/saabforum/viewtopic.php?t=1124&highlight=springs

·
Registered
9 Posts
hmmm....can someone correct me if i'm wrong on this, but doesn't the 9-5 have coil over suspension? i feel like i've read that somewhere.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Yea actually I think Koni makes them. They're known has the sports suspension kit. I also think blisten makes them as well. Ask Nick at Genuine Saab.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah i know the new saabs might have coil over, thats not what i'm looking for. I have a NG900 98SE i need to figure out have to make coilovers with them anybody>

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
he was talking about your car, he said that the new ones come with the coilovers, and you can get coil overs for your car through koni, or nick if you want, i don't know what he has

just go to koni.com clikc on cars, then click on street sport on the left, then click on catalogue, then way up top select saab, and bingo!

~justin

·
Administrator
668 Posts
why not just get KONIs and some abbott springs... like how are coil-overs different?

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Ahh, I see what your talking about...my mistake. I don't think there are "Coilovers" currently for sale for Saabs. This is exactly what coilovers are and what they do.

"Coilovers let you lower and raise the car to your liking. Most coilover springs can be adjusted from 1" to 3" lowering."

Konis only allow you to adjust the stiffness, and you combine the Konis with lower springs for a set height you want to be at.

Personally I would like to see some coilovers made for our cars.

·
Administrator
668 Posts
so they are basically like air ride shocks? but less comfortable

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, the installation of my friend’s coilovers did not go so well. We striped a bolt and then we stopped. Going to try again tonight, have more tools this time.

But With the Saab Coilovers Blaque_Out knows what I’m talking about. I don't think it gives you the feel of a gas suspension, but just the ability to adjust you cars height with sport springs. The range is usually 0 to 4'". Does anybody know if you can just throw some Saab lowering springs on there and then take some parts from another coilover kit? The Koni adjustable shocks/struts, allows the user to adjust the rebound of their sport suspension or for load purposes.

I would really like to do this. I know there is somebody out there that has enough knowledge about this that can help out.

·
Administrator
668 Posts
ive got a viggen with abbott racing springs on it.. I dont ever want it any lowe than it is... and i dont see a reason to make it higher. Im putting my KONIs on there soon and ill keep you posted.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
snow4_1man said:
So, the installation of my friend's coilovers did not go so well. We striped a bolt and then we stopped. Going to try again tonight, have more tools this time.

But With the Saab Coilovers Blaque_Out knows what I'm talking about. I don't think it gives you the feel of a gas suspension, but just the ability to adjust you cars height with sport springs. The range is usually 0 to 4'". Does anybody know if you can just throw some Saab lowering springs on there and then take some parts from another coilover kit? The Koni adjustable shocks/struts, allows the user to adjust the rebound of their sport suspension or for load purposes.

I would really like to do this. I know there is somebody out there that has enough knowledge about this that can help out.
Ive did a general search about custom coilovers, and it seems that they use basic lowering springs. They choose the springs depending on the spring rate which provides the best ride. Other than this the coilover parts for each application remain the same...a shock with an adjustable screw platform that attaches to the mount.

They seem somewhat easy to have make a custom set out of using your old stock suspension, but im sure you'd want to work along with a company to create them.

I suggest you do a search on Google, or webcrawler under "custom coilovers" to get more info.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok I did some research on this, and I have not found any company that makes them custom, only H&R. But H&R are full suspension that cost 1600. That’s a little more then I want to pay.

I was wondering if anybody wanted to try to help me make these? Any information that you have can help. I have contacted some guy that made them for his car; he has not got back to me. I now a lot of other guys would like to have coil-overs also. So if anybody wants to help of has info please post thanks.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok just called H&R to see if they could make some anyway and they don't do custom coilovers. I saw it at somebodys site and they said they had H&R custom coilovers. So my mastake they don't still looking need help.

·
Registered
251 Posts
the only reason u would want coilovers is if u wanted to spend an insane amount of money just so u can lower ur car without installing totally different springs. I know u can also adjust the dampening just as you can with konis on your car, so....unlesss ur really planning to adjust the height every few months i would just get some koni dampers and some H&R springs or something.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
I have to agree with WS......There's really no need for coilovers unless you plan to do car shows, where all the Honda freeks strive for that radically dropped look. They're mad, mad dough and it's always better to be fast than to look fast.

With H&R springs you'll get a 1.4 inch drop; closer to 2 inches if you use Vogtland. Use Konis and you can adjust the ride firmness almost as easily as coilovers...A shock/spring combo will cost about $800, about half what custom coilovers would....

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well thanks for the info guys, but you are both wrong. A set of coil-overs cost around 200 to 150. I’m not talking about buying the coil-overs that come from H&R. The reason I would like the coil-overs is so I can raise the car in the winter because I live in NH and we get a lot of snow. The coil-overs that include the dampeners with them cost around 1600. Look at Blaque_Out pictures of the coil-overs. That’s what I want. I'm not going for a civic look or a show room look. If I wanted my car to look like a civic I would have bought one. What’s the radical drop look? If I want 17" rims even with 1.5" and low profile tires I still have room to go lower. I plan on buying the Koni dampeners anyway. With coil-overs you should get new shocks. Did I say that coil-overs make your car go fast? No they improve handling just like sport springs do. Coil-overs have sport springs in them. That’s what I want. Yeah you use the coil-overs with the shocks so no; it’s not half the cost.

Anyway, anybody that has HELPFULL information pleases post. Still looking to make some coil-overs.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Considering you're planning to make custom coilovers (since there are no applications for saabs), it WILL run you quite abit because they have to be custom fabricated.

The coilover kits you see for other cars have been made SPECIFICALLY for that car model, and are sold in large quantities because large amounts of people want them....similar to a body kit. Most companies won't fabricate a custom set because it takes time, and carefull construction. All this together for a custom kit will run you quite abit.

Ive done research of my own after you started this thread, and found that people who make custom coilover have spent large amounts of money on their setups.

For a custom made adjustable ride height system (ie coilovers, or air-ride) you will spend alot because they have to be fabricated. So in that sense...the guys were right. We're all trying to help you understand just exactly your wanting getting into, because this isn't that easy of a task.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well right now I'm in the process of talking to somebody about making a pair of custom coil-overs for Saab. I have emailed and called numerous companies about making simple coil-overs for Saab, none of the companies have gotten back to me. As for the companies I have called, they weren’t interested in making them for Saab.

Of course other companies that manufacture coil-overs for cars other than Saab produce them in mass quantities therefore cutting the cost down low. What I'm trying to do here is take the parts from those coil-overs and incorporate them into Saab lowering springs. If I go purchase Koni adjustable shocks, I'm sure that one of these coil-overs from various companies has to resemble the top mount to be able to fit into the Koni shocks.

I'm working with this other guy who made custom coil-overs for his car that look similar to the ones you posted Blaque_Out.

Right now from looking at different models of various coil-overs we have seen that the springs that they use much resemble any Saab spring. What we are thinking about doing is choosing one company for Saab springs And including parts from companies that make coil-overs suspension that are readily available. Factoring in that the spring is the main cost of the coil-overs. The other parts are easily attainable through any company that makes coil-overs for a fraction of the cost of the whole coil-over setup.

Therefore spending a lot of money is not going to be an issue because we already know how much the Saab springs cost, and the parts that make the spring into a coil-over, are again, a fraction of the cost. So money would not be a factor; more so finding a company that we can use for parts to work on Koni adjustable shocks that go on the Saab NG900. As for custom fabrication, we're not relying on a company to do this, but only ourselves within a garage.

So in fact, the guys weren't right -- And this job would be more time consuming then money consuming.

Thanks -- Still looking for people to help me with this.

·
Registered
134 Posts
if you are considering rasing the car for winter and lowering it back down for summer think about what the snow and salt does i had a friend who did this and after the first winter he was lucky to lower it again from what the salt did now for the second winter ill wonder if he will be lucky to be able to adjust them at all

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Well you seem to have a handle on what you're looking for so good luck to ya. Let us know how it turns out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts