Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinkign about making something along these lines as a custom billet grill on my viggen. This is just a quick photoshop I did as a mockup. What do you think

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
I am currently working on that, however not with billet, but with brows, and mesh instead.

I love the look 8)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Then the race is on! I am going to see if I can get a spare 9-3 grill from the salvage yard before I start hacking the stock one though.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
So far it here's how mine is turning out. It has a couple bumps on the upper section, so I still have more sanding to do. The bottom and sides are VEEERYYY smooth though.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Well, to get the center out without causing damage....I actually damaged it. :lol: Im kidding. Actually I bought this grill of Ebay for $10. It was broke on one side, but I didn't care since I was going to be cutting the center out and using epoxy and bondo to remold the contours.

Anywho to get the center out I used a drywall knife (or anything else along those lines will work) and a vice. The knife was good for the peices connected on the sides, but for the top I used a table saw. A bandsaw or jig saw will work better.

I didn't get to sand down the excess at the time, so I thought I could just fill it in with the plubers epoxy. The epoxy worked very well for the holes that were made from removing the center, but didn't work so well to even everything out. But of course sanding because my best friend, and I did a hell of alot of sanding to get the lower section smooth. Acutally I still have more sanding to go, but I took a break on it.

So plumbers epoxy, bondo and lots of sanding works great. 8)

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Nice nice, Very nice. Good find on ebay also, i need to find something like that. I want to do the same thing, but want to make my boder thicker and drawn out. Keep posting on the finished product.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
i am against those sorts of grills.... sorry, but the stock grills look way nicer in my opinion. Just get a turbo badge for the stocl grill and you'll be set.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Yeah, plumbers epoxy is pretty tight.

I wish I had done mine with some bondo on top of that, though, when you get right up in front of the car you can see the epoxy doesn't get quite as smooth as I'd have liked it. Maybe later this summer I will re-do it proper with bondo.

anyone know what will strip my laquer paint and duplicolor primer WITHOUT eating the plastic?

I got some paint stripper specifically for cars and it ate a bunch of the grill last time! I was PISSED. It only said "not for use on plastics" hidden very tiny WAAAAY at the bottom after all the directions,. instructions, warnings, cautions, and was almost unfair how it was hidden away. I showedmy girlfriend who just graduated law school, she even said that was borderline dirty and illegal, to get people to buy the product thinking it can be used on anything....I almost lost the grill completely, but the plumbers epoxy saved my ass! :oops:

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
P.S. as far as cutting goes, a rotary tool (dremel) with a cutting disc was how I cut my grill, it worked REALLY well, and was super easy, I was able to cut very smooth lines with it.

Mine was only 36 dollars and came with 110 accessory attachments (local hardware store!)

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
what about just using a high grit sand paper. It will take alot of paint off.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sanding would be best. While the Epoxy putty is great stuff, the best solution would be fiberglass. Would allow for high strength and flexibility. I intend to make it good and smooth, then make a mold of it, so others can be knocked off easy, instead of modifying stock ones.

·
Registered
392 Posts
If you are going to be making a mold, def take lots of pics and post in the tutorials please! also, would you be thinking about selling them if you were to make a mold?

·
Registered
392 Posts
If you are going to be making a mold, def take lots of pics and post in the tutorials please! also, would you be thinking about selling them if you were to make a mold?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts