Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I walked the local yard the other day and of course didn't find any 9ks. I did however see 2 9-5s and one older 900 conv. Not sure what years or model but the 9-5s both still had the turbos and 1 was a manual.

I know the 9-5 replaced the 9k and heard they use pretty much the same chassis. My question is, What can I grab and use? Can I take the turbos, suspension bits, hell, what about the side skirts and fit em somehow? Anybody try something like that before?

If the car is an LPT, does that mean the actual turbo is different or is it the ecu and different clocking? If the chassis is "pretty much the same", Think we may be able to change the hubs out and suddenly we find that our 4x108 wheel issue has opened us up to all the possibilities of 5 lug wheels!?!

I don't know the answer to these questions and was just thinking out loud about what kind of things we may be able to do. Let's keep this fun and knowledgeable instead of just bashing what someone might post. Look forward to hearing what you guys have to say....:D

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
not the same chassis and don't use any real compatible parts.
you must be thinking C9000 and 9000. they used the same chassis pretty much. and have a lot of compatible parts.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had watched an old top gear with the 9-5 test and thought I remembered Jeremy say something about being pretty much the same. Just throwing the idea out there you know:)
Maybe something will come out of it. Anyone know about the difference in turbos?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
the turbo needs to be reclocked to fit either car as each has the exhaust side facing the opposite way as the other. 9000 has t25 garrett and td04 with a 6cm>2 exhaust and the 9-5 has a garrett gt17 and td04 5cm>2. 9000 exhaust faces passenger side. 9-5 exhaust side faces drivers side. only the tdo4 from the 9000 has the 6cm>2 exhaust housing the rest have 5cm>2 housing hence the reasoning behind people chasing down the 6cm>2 td04 to use on either car with the purpose of upgrading it to a 19T turbo.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
wow that sucks. Thought maybe I could at least use the housing but it sounds like I can't even do that... :(
you can use the housing but you need to reclock it and have the wastegate modified

depends on what you want to do with it power wise. the reason people use either the td04hl-15g or the td04hl-15t both the 9000 versions not the 9-5 version is mostly to bore the turbo out to a 19T and have the 6cm>2 exhaust to keep the EGT's down. some have even used a 7cm>2 volvo exhaust side to keep the temps even further down. also the larger diameter also allows for slightly better spoil up with the better flow.

the 9-5 td04 can be bored out to 18T. but still only has a 5cm>2 so you have to watch the EGT's (exhaust gas temperatures)

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
You may have better luck in buying parts of the 9-5 and selling them and then purchase the 9K parts. Depends on the junkyard, but if you can get common items like headlights, grills, HIDs, SIDs, etc cheap, then its worth it for selling or trading.

Suggest you look in the WTB section to get an idea of what people want and the WTS for an idea of what people are willing to pay, realizing that TSL collective wallet creaks when it opens. :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts