Remove center A/C vent.
Remove radio ICM control panel
Remove ACC/MCC control panel.
I can't remember if I pulled the ashtray, CD player and EHU stack in the center too, I think that the head unit on top of the CD kind of takes up the space where you want to stick your hand back in there to maneuver it out, it'll probably make it easier and it's easy to remove.
You will need some long thin screwdrivers to get in on top and bottom to un-snap the clips that hold it in, when you get your replacement look at where the clips are to see where you have to depress them to pull the old one out. You have to hold like all of them un-snapped to get it out, pull gentle pressure on the old one while you un-hook all the clips.
So my part came in from Goldwing Saab...I love these guys, they never send you damaged parts and they have the knowledge to pull parts the correct way and give you the best product for your money...
Anyway...quick 10 minute cup holder replacement:
1. heated the car up to 80 degrees (its cold in New England) so as to not crack any plastic
2. Worked the heat control unit out starting from the top (I used the small flat-heads in my Swiss Army Knife...take it slow and try not to stress the plastic, you don't want to be buying a new heat control unit !
Pull the unit out.
3. Work the cup holder facing off with your fingers...its just a face plate and should pop right out.
4. Once that is out take the separate cup holding sleeve out.
5. With the old unit out, take the face plate off the new on and slide the cup holding unit into place...now work the face plate on...remember the dash plate overlaps the faceplate a little so you have to work it in at an angle.
6. Once the plate is on, remove the storage tray from below the heat unit...this will make putting the heat unit back in a lot easier...reinstall the heat unit and make sure the cup holder face plate is install correctly and secure...it may take a little adjustment...then reinstall the storage tray...remember the storage tray is pushed in a little further than the heat unit to give a clean look.
LOL...it is crap...lucky its cheap and lots of them available in the used market...these cars are so cheaply made...I put a dent in the trunk with my bike rack just from the weight of the bikes eventhough it was paded...that would never happen on an older Saab.