Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anytime I am not moving, or driving pretty slowly, if I turn the steering wheel, I get a weird creaking sound through the steering column. It's been happening for a few weeks now. Anybody get this weird sound before? I'm not really sure what to look for...I have the GS steering rack brace and clamp (but the clamp is not torqued down to the wheel well area yet because I lost the bolt)

Could it be something that those steering rod bushings from GS would fix?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the GS poly kit, just installed this summer. And I sprayed some silicone grease on the bushings too....

·
Registered
393 Posts
I had the same issue after I lowered my saab. When I would turn to the left it would be like somethings brushing like a breakpad on a rotor or something.

And when I could turn the steering wheel it would go crink, wasn't loud or horrible just a new sound.

It did go away on its on though, I'm still to this day clueless on what it was, but I still have the video in my phone to prove it ! :)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not very often you get those kind of problems that go away on their own...enjoy them!! Lol

Has anyone installed those bushings, and had the sound go away as a result? Seems like one of the reviews on Genuinesaab's site said that...

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Anytime I am not moving, or driving pretty slowly, if I turn the steering wheel, I get a weird creaking sound through the steering column. It's been happening for a few weeks now. Anybody get this weird sound before? I'm not really sure what to look for...I have the GS steering rack brace and clamp (but the clamp is not torqued down to the wheel well area yet because I lost the bolt)

Could it be something that those steering rod bushings from GS would fix?
could be cuz its getting cold out now. oh the joys of listening to the creak creak creak over every bump this winter will be a joooooyyyy again.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Check your strut mounts. Have someone place their hand on the top of the mount (not the cover) while you turn the wheel back and forth. You should feel right away if the mount is binding up.

The Taurus a couple years back was making some groaning noises, which lead to some weird clunking with a twang to it. That was the sound of the spring rotating and jumping on the strut mount because the strut mount was seized.

I have a spring compressor if it turns out the mount is bad.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Snowsaab this is different than that creaking.

saabkid I think you might be right. I lost a bit during the summer, but the Autoshop should've topped it off. They forgot a couple things though so I'm gonna check that.

If it's not the PS fluid I'll check strut mounts. My suspension is a bit old and worn...

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good call. What was apart on the car recently? If they had to do anything with the oil pan, your subframe bolts may be a tad loose.
Well, the subframe has been dropped several times for the various transmission troubles...maybe the Autoshop didn't get them good and tight. I'm mildly suspicious of some of their workmanship, just because I notice some things that they forgot to put back together (such as reverse gear switch).

I'll check those when I have my tools next weekend.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts