1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom was run over by a car.

vent:

Fuckin' A, right?

She's alive, but got 4 pins and a plate in her right knee free of charge from the idiot 20-something's insurance company.

She was walking across a pedestrian x-ing, and this guy was looking down, or away, or something, and without swerving or touching his brakes, nailed her. He didn't flee after doing the deed, and there were people around to help her, but it's a globular cluster-fuck right now.

She's pissed because she's under strict orders to refrain from any weight-bearing for 12 weeks; it will be 1 year before she's 100%. Being a competitive rower (just did the Head of the Charles a couple months ago) she's going to loose a season's worth of practice.

I'm just glad she's able to laugh about it and stay in good spirits.

My brother just got home from Afghanishitstain, and we talked about what to. Perhaps smother the pecker-head in hugs*?

vent over

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Wow, glad she's alright.

People are fucking stupid. When my wife worked in downtown Cincy, almost getting mowed down at an intersection was a daily occurrence. Some people had the nerve to blow their horn even though she had the walk light.

It happened to me more than once while I was doing courier work. One guy came withing 6 inches of actually hitting me, then had the balls to blow his horn even though I had the right of way. I just looked at him, pointed at the green "walk" light and shook my head.

·
Registered
12,348 Posts
Definitely glad she's alright. When it comes to pedestrian/motor vehicle accidents its usually never good....and certainly is no laughing matter.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Thats horrible, sorry to hear. Hope she recuperates well.

At least the asshat stopped, seems like everyone hits and runs now. Especially the 20 something year olds.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
The one major intersection I cross to get to the metro from my house can be like that. There was one day I was on the 2nd lane of 4 and a Jeep comes barreling down the hill and blows the light and screams past me in the only lane I had crossed so far. To my much amusement though there was a cop front row of that intersection and instantly went after him. That got my heart going.

+1 for her being "alright" and that a knee injury was all that happened besides a bruised ego towards the rowing. Hopefully she will get back to 100% though. It's great that she has that chance. I wonder how diminished those chances would be had she not been in good shape.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
like everyone else glad to see shes alright for the most part

·
Registered
369 Posts
I feel sorry for your Mom but I also think this new "trend" of having unlit "Ped_X" ings is about the dumbest thing to hit this century.

They had them in GB years ago but they were all marked by a yellow light up on a post.

Our town tossed in about 50 on the main drag. I watched a guy come down a flight of steps and ever pause or look ... boom ... right in front of me.

The problem is that you just don't change habits. Not me, the whole lot of us have been conditioned to green and red.

When you read the law it's a joint responsibility but only like one out of a dozen people look up.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
man sorry to hear about your mom glad shes ok! its a true blessing that she is alive. cars arnt anything to mess with a guy was killed in front of my work one Am walking down the road. and ever since then i try to be as careful as possible when it comes to being a pedestrian

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
That is a relief your mom is doing alright all things considered, that is something that should never befall anyone. Did they ever figure out what the kid was doing looking down instead of paying attention to driving a couple thousand pounds of metal down the road?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Glad she is alright albeit benched for the time being. Ive been toying with the idea of taking the porcelain section out of spark plugs I change at work and just having a few of them in my pocket for when Im walking or riding my bike and some idiot needs a wakeup call. I think a shattered window would do nicely.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts