Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
User
Joined
·
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.... my newest dilemma is in my 1990 900T 'Natalie'.....

She is leaking lots of coolant and I don't know where from.... I noticed a small leak of water by the turbo in one of the lines, but this can't be the source of the large amounts of coolant disappearing. Cracked head possibly? If that's the case, I don't really care because I have a 2.3L head waiting to be put on once I get the gaskets.... Any ideas and ways to find the leak?

-Zach
 

·
User
Joined
·
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stevehayes01 said:
Ok I would say that you need to check your thermostat out since that is the same thing that happened to me right before (at full boost and WOT) my upper radiator hose blew up! IT was leaking like that for a few weeks and only under higher pressures.
I just had it replaced less than a year ago, however I suppose I can try replacing it.... will i need a new hose too?
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
7,595 Posts
well it's not going to be the head, those 16 valve heads *almost* never crack. the head gasket however.... has that ever been replaced before? they usually start to leak a little at 160-180K and if they have started at the normal time, by 190K you could have a coolant leak into the timing cover at a very noticeable rate which in turn will spray coolant in there and it will get in the oil. this problem would obviously be solved by installing your 2.3 head along with a new gasket.

You really don’t know what type of work the car has had done in the past for certain, therefore I would suggest pressure testing the cooling system before you make any assumptions about the source of the leak. that will find the leak dead on

let me ask you this- does your oil look kind if like coffee in color? that's typically a sign that coolant is getting into your oil.
 

·
User
Joined
·
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DeLorean said:
well it's not going to be the head, those 16 valve heads *almost* never crack. the head gasket however.... has that ever been replaced before? they usually start to leak a little at 160-180K and if they have started at the normal time, by 190K you could have a coolant leak into the timing cover at a very noticeable rate which in turn will spray coolant in there and it will get in the oil. this problem would obviously be solved by installing your 2.3 head along with a new gasket.

You really don't know what type of work the car has had done in the past for certain, therefore I would suggest pressure testing the cooling system before you make any assumptions about the source of the leak. that will find the leak dead on

let me ask you this- does your oil look kind if like coffee in color? that's typically a sign that coolant is getting into your oil.
Thanks Jeff.... I will try this when I get back to Claremont and on a warmer day... I am currently in Rutland, VT at my sisters apartment helping her move out.... I will be back in town tomorrow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
hi there

if you have the feeling that the problem is coming from your head than i must agree with the fact that the head allmost never cracks. fitting a new head gasket is a very easy and quick job. it normaly takes about 4 to 5 hours. now if and when you put a new head gasket on make sure your head is still straight. i have done about 40 head jobs and alot of turbo heads warp it is very easy to see if the head is still straight by simply using a square. if you need to get it replained think about letting the shop shave the head the thinner the head the more compresion. it is kindda tricky you have to know ex how thin to shave it though. if you would like specs let me know. if you where to need a new head i have the cleaned shaved and plained. just let me know. and make sure the 2.3 head will fit a 2.1 turbo. you probably know all this just thought i would mention it. i hope it will work out for you. good luck and if there is anything else i can help you with just let me know. sebastian :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
are there any other leaks under the car? I had a similar problem, didn't know where the coolant was going, then later found out my water pump was bad when it started leaking really bad. but if the coolant isn't going onto the ground anywhere, it could be the headgasket leaking in a wierd place. Any smoke at all?
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
7,595 Posts
well this car has bigger problems then a coolant leak now... I always find it interesting how often the saab 16V engines out last their shells
 

·
User
Joined
·
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DeLorean said:
well this car has bigger problems then a coolant leak now... I always find it interesting how often the saab 16V engines out last their shells
Yeah.... the car's upper control arm snapped. Oh well..... the car is ready to be retired :cry: .... BTW, I fixed the coolant leak a while ago.... it ended up to be the turbo line was loose. lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,049 Posts
I think you need to fix that 89 up - seems like a rather straight forward fix - at the msot you cut a section from "Natalie" and weld that into the 89 to make it right - I bet within a week that car could be fixed and the frame itself prolly really wasn't even tweaked - you aren't trying very hard.....
 

·
User
Joined
·
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BurnsSide42 said:
I think you need to fix that 89 up - seems like a rather straight forward fix - at the msot you cut a section from "Natalie" and weld that into the 89 to make it right - I bet within a week that car could be fixed and the frame itself prolly really wasn't even tweaked - you aren't trying very hard.....
If you want, you can come up here and see it and then tell me. By all means, feel free because if it is a fairly easy fix that won't cost me more than i paid for the car, please come up asap! :shock:
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
7,595 Posts
well maybe me paul and shore can do just that one of these days :lol:

I'll bring the tow ropes, welder, and sledge hammers

8)
 

·
User
Joined
·
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
an animation I made of how it pushed in... it also tweaked "out" (sideways) and tore.

Note: the rust is because i took a picture from the 88.
 

·
User
Joined
·
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DeLorean said:
well maybe me paul and shore can do just that one of these days :lol:

I'll bring the tow ropes, welder, and sledge hammers

8)
hope so... I just don't see how we can replicate an impact = to that of me hitting a tractor trailer truck rear bumper at 35 mph.... that's a lot of force.... especially since he was at a dead stop. It's like hitting a wall. and hitting isnt the problem.... pulling is :? .... If we can fix my car though, that would be awesome.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
7,595 Posts
this is a typical repair for a wrecked C-900- you chain the cars rear tow hooks to a tree and hook a U bolt through that bracket. then chain a truck to the other end of the U-bolt. drive truck till it's in the right spot :D

Ian (89saab900) I have no doubt come across this one a few times. if you are not into the truck idea, you can tap the old bracket so it's straight and then weld a new bracket directly onto the old one effectively extending the smashed part

as for the upper part that bolts to the radiator support which is no doubt smashed too, you use a U bolt, 2 plates of metal and a engine hoist. truck too if it needs to be moved foward.
 

·
User
Joined
·
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DeLorean said:
this is a typical repair for a wrecked C-900- you chain the cars rear tow hooks to a tree and hook a U bolt through that bracket. then chain a truck to the other end of the U-bolt. drive truck till it's in the right spot :D

Ian (89saab900) I have no doubt come across this one a few times. if you are not into the truck idea, you can tap the old bracket so it's straight and then weld a new bracket directly onto the old one effectively extending the smashed part

as for the upper part that bolts to the radiator support which is no doubt smashed too, you use a U bolt, 2 plates of metal and a engine hoist. truck too if it needs to be moved foward.
Hey, sounds good to me! 8) :twisted: ..... Now get your asses up here so I can have "2" awesome cars lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
just drill a hole through it tie it to something and haul it out. whats wrong with natalie that you want to retiere her. :cry:
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top