Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm semi stumped here.

The last few times I've driven my 9000 hard I've gotten coolant to come right out the top of the reservoir. The temp stays below 1/2 way on the gauge, does not fluctuate much, and when I'd pop the hood the coolant was definitely NOT boiling.

The time when this issue was becoming the most prenounced was when I was doing some lapping at a track, lots of sustained acceleration and boost. Again, the car was not getting boiling hot from this, but the reservoir would be empty within 5 laps - all signs pointing to a stream of coolant out the fill cap.

I have changed caps, I've tried keeping the cap loose, and tightening it. Does not make any difference.

Is what I think happening...happening? Boost pressurizing the coolant, and blowing it out the cap?

·
7,595 Posts
Is what I think happening...happening? Boost pressurizing the coolant, and blowing it out the cap?
could be that, or a crack/pinhole leak in the coolant reservoir. Also, don't discount a leak elsewhere in the system that is popping up when the system is pressurized. Also try changing the cap.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its coming out from the cap, nowhere else. I mean there is a trail from the cap, and nowhere else. As I've said, I've tried 3 caps, the problems stays with the car, does not follow the caps.

If there is a leak elsewhere, its doing a good job manifesting itself around the base of the cap, and then streaming down the side of the reservoir.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I had a similar problem like that on my 99. Drive down the road not overheating and all of a sudden poof I had no coolant.

The problem ended up being the headgasket was bad and instead of sucking water in and burning it what it did was force pressure into the cooling system and force water out of the cap. Replaced the head gasket and have never had the problem since.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm leaning toward the head gasket. I've never had one go bad where it pushed the coolant out, only where they suck the coolant in.

I'll probably try to tackle that next week. Hopefully its the issue! If not, I'm sure its good preventative maintenance for this car anyway.

·
Registered
757 Posts
This sounds silly... but I'm being serious. Replace the reserviour cap on the coolant tank. They can leak where they seal and allow for the coolant to boil over. My 9kAero did this and I was leaning towards headgasket, it turns out the cap itself was the problem. I know you have a few laying around...

Take care,
-Chad

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Please red guys, I've said twice that I've tried MULTIPLE caps. Two used ones, one new one.

I can keep replacing them, I don't think it will help.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
ohai change headgasket please

and the reservoir cap*

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there a crack in the reservoir where the cap attaches?
No.

On the off chance of that I will swap reservoirs. Maybe I will try a new cap too ;-)

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I had a celica that did the exact same thing. After a water pump, radiator flush, and thermostat, and that fixed everything.

This thread is making me consider doing the head gasket in mine while I have the timing parts off... hmmm

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just ordered the head bolts. If the car does not need a head gasket, I guess I'll be more stumped. I figure I'll do the head gasket anyway, since the car has 230k on the clock, and no receipt for a head gasket in bunch of receipts in the manual...it probably needs it anyway.

·
Registered
420 Posts
My 91 pushed coolant out the cap when it had a bad head (don't know if it was the head gasket or small crack(s)). Though it never pushed it all out. I also wouldn't get heat until the thermostat opened up.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
i was having the same problem, i replaced the cap and nothing, now im doing he head gasket (not just for the lose of coolant reason :( ) lets see what happens

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, I'm getting the feeling here that others have had head gasket failures that manifest themselves with pressurizing the coolant, and not necisarially taking on coolant in the cylinder.

I will do a compression test as soon as I get home tonight. Then check the head bolt torque to hold things over until next week when the bolts show up.

Anyone know what year they switched from the old style head bolts to the newer version with the washer? Just wondering, since i have no other idea how I would tell if the HG's ever been replaced.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, what I did was test the compression.

200, 195, 140, 195 - cyls 1-4 respectively. Surprise, surprise at cyl 3 being the problem :roll:

I dug right in and got about 1/2 way to getting the head off. I stopped when it got kinda dark outside. Partly on account of not having the car in the garage, and partly on account of running out of beer.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts