Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 1999 9-3SE I´ve seen some lights in the dash that never lights up/missing from users manual:
*Shift Up (with picture of stick), located between tacho and speedo. Some say this is activated on US cars. At what rpm does it light up? Does anyone know if the rpm is adjustable?
*Check ACS, located above AirBag-light (I think it was) - have heard that it´s related to the Sensonic gear-box, but as far as I know, it was never offered in the 9-3?
*EXH, located at far right, above the tank-meter - some say it´s for knowing when the cat is at the right temp, some say it´s when the o2-sensor needs to be exchanged. Anyone?

·
10,303 Posts
The shift up light has something to do with economical driving. I ignore it so I have no idea when it lights up.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
i belive some of those are US spec only so i dont think you will ever see them light up...

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
oh yeah sorry...they are used here because of the different smog regulations... and more economical driving... does that help or even make sence?

·
Registered
546 Posts
bollman said:
Shift Up=When, and most important, is it modifiable?
Yes - On US stock Saabs it comes on all the time and is quite annoying, but it does come on near redline which is helpful. I modified mine by hooking up a rpm switch to the light so that it would only come on as a redline shift up light. I have more info on my website.
http://www.lehigh.edu/~cak7/Upgrades/Custom/ShiftLight.html

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
thats odd, on my car, the shift up light comes on based on what possition my foot is in, like, if i'm just taking it easy around town, it'll come on really low, like around 2k, but when i really get on it, it wont come on til near redline, and if i'm cruising along, and the lights on, and i floor it, or give it more gas, it'll go out until it's time to shift up at that throttle position.

i've also gotten it to come on in reverse before... :wink:

~justin

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
those of us with turbos, the shiftlight comes on when your non-calibrated boost gauge is the the "green" section, but not under vaccuum. As soon as you get into the orange section, it turns off

Brian

·
Registered
711 Posts
ACS goes on when there is a fault in the Sensonic gearbox system. A message also appears on the SID saying all kinds of scary messages, like "OVERHEATED CLUTCH". I think the 900 NG and 9-3 use the same gauge cluster?

EXH goes on when the catalyst is overheated. I don't think that is on US spec autos. EXH is present on nearly all Bosch CIS cars, ie 900 8-valve, Volkswagen Golf early 1980's, which comes on every 50,000km to say "replace 02 sensor". O2 sensor should be replaced every 150,000km according to the 9-3, but no light is provided for this.

Shift Up of course is a US market ONLY feature. A Canadian / Mexican / Swedish / anything market car will not have a Shift Up light activated. The Shift Up goes when the engine speed is >5000rpm (I think) and when there is light load and high-rpm condition (ie crusing down a slight slope at 4000rpm).

I can actually find out exactly, I have official Saab explanation of everything over here...

·
Administrator
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Smaart Aas Saabr said:
ACS goes on when there is a fault in the Sensonic gearbox system. A message also appears on the SID saying all kinds of scary messages, like "OVERHEATED CLUTCH". I think the 900 NG and 9-3 use the same gauge cluster?
Nope, 9-3 have a different cluster, it uses the progressive speedo. Also, as far as I know, the 9-3 never had the Sensonic-box, but this makes one wonder, SAAB maybe planned sensonic in the 9-3 but never went for it.
Side Q: you guy who have Sensonic, is it good? Maybe one should get a Sensonic when/if the tranny gives up, would be funny to be "one of a kind" 9-3 with sensonic. :)

Smaart Aas Saabr said:
EXH goes on when the catalyst is overheated. I don't think that is on US spec autos. EXH is present on nearly all Bosch CIS cars, ie 900 8-valve, Volkswagen Golf early 1980's, which comes on every 50,000km to say "replace 02 sensor". O2 sensor should be replaced every 150,000km according to the 9-3, but no light is provided for this.
Hmm, how would the car know about overheated cat? I recently switched to the JT 3" with sports cat, and as far as I know I didn´t´see any connections other than those to the o2-sensor. Why would you need a special light for a worn out o2? If the o2 sensor is going bad, the CE-light will come on. Only reason should be as you say, to know when it should be replaced.

Smaart Aas Saabr said:
Shift Up of course is a US market ONLY feature. A Canadian / Mexican / Swedish / anything market car will not have a Shift Up light activated. The Shift Up goes when the engine speed is >5000rpm (I think) and when there is light load and high-rpm condition (ie crusing down a slight slope at 4000rpm).

I can actually find out exactly, I have official Saab explanation of everything over here...
Yes please. I´m thinking about activating it, but if it´s just annoying then I won´t ;)[/quote]

·
Registered
711 Posts
The Sensonic was probably a planned option for the 9-3 that was canned at last moment. A couple of the Buick Grand National enthusiasts here know there is a provision for a warning light that says "Power Injection", but it's not connected and there is no such system on the car...

Apparently it was supposed to be a water-injection setup, but it wasn't produced.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts