Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, i always fill up my gas tank when it's getting really low, and when the pump stops i always round up to the next 25 cents amount, and i always fill up with middle grade gas, it's like 89 or 91 octane i do not remember, and whenever i fill up, i reset the trip computer, and the sid computer (mpg and distance left), and for the past 4 tanks i haven't gotten on it at all, i don't speed more than 5-10 over the limit, and my distance out of each tank is getting more and more, it's gone from 380 miles up to now at 420 (no phun intended), and with the tank i'm on now, if the miles left on tank calculation is correct, i'll hit 500 or really close to it. it says i'm gettin 30.2 mpg, which is crazy, my jeep got like 12 mpg max, lol. now, for the way i drive, i always shift before or at shift light, like, 1-2 @ 10mph, 2-3 @ 18mph, 3-4 @ 30mph, and 4-5 @ 35mph, i know, i know, you shouldn't shift early and strain the engine, well, if i'm going up a hill, or need to accelerate, i'll ride 2nd or 3rd longer, i never use cruise control, and i never downshift to slow down. the way i slow down is, coast, i guess my speed and my distance til where i have to turn, and i'll take it out of gear when i think i can coast to the stop, and when i get there, if i was wrong with my guess, i'll either accelerate, or slow down, depends. i never let my car warm up when i get in to go somewhere, and i never leave it running unless i'm driving or at a stop light.

now, my question: since i've been driving the same way for the past few weeks, is it possible that the computer is toning it down, and making it so i get better gas milage, and that would explain why it felt slower tonight when i actually got on it for a short distance? what's up guys, you ecu genuses should know something here.

~justin

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lmfao, computers can't think, hahahaha, they can reprogram themselves, i know that.

and i don't do weed, i'm like straight edge, i've never done like anything bad, except today, today i lost my virginity, and it was F*CKING AWESOME, lol, well, i'm sure you didn't all need to know that, but you do now, haha, i'm lovin it

~justin

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cookies!!!!! and for your information, it was a girl!

lol

~justin

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
haha, ass... i'm not making her up

back on topic....

why is my car getting such milage on a tank??

~justin

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
well - i know that some of the 90's Pontiacs would adapt to a drivers driving after some time and that would prolly help the gas mileage - but that was more related to the shifting. It was a learning thing the car did do. So in otherwrds - it could be possible.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey, back on topic that's good....

my jeep, i did an ecu swap and put a performance one in, and it said "please allow 300 miles of average driving to learn better shift patterns and fuel and timing aspects before you will notice a performance increase"

so it might be possible, that since i've been going good with it for like 1000 miles, that it's learning....

~justin

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it wasn't a robot damn it :evil: :twisted:

and considering she said she wanted to do it before i did, i think she would have said yes.

~justin

·
Registered
711 Posts
The SID distance-to-empty function goes by the average fuel economy over the past while... I think it is about 15 minutes of operation window, but maybe the Saab Info Display takes a wider look at things.

30 mpg isn't terribly impossible, you aren't doing any damage to the car by shifting when it asks you to.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i know that, but i shift early for one, and it doesn't matter what the sid is displaying, i was talking about the main computer, like the ecu, and how it might be relearning the engine dynamics because i just got 500 miles out of a tank of gas.

~justin

·
Registered
711 Posts
nah.

Computer does learn, and most cars today (including yours if it was a slushbox) adapt the automatic trans shifting to driving style ...

but it seems like you have adjusted your driving & shifting behaviour, so this fuel-economy spike that has occured is probably all your fault :wink:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah, everything is my fault, i don't care though, my mom's car gets like 450 miles out of a tank, but it's a 42 gallon tank, and i get 500 miles out of an 18 mile tank, i don't care, lol

~justin

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
uh, i have the 2.3 no turbo, not the 2.0 turbo... big difference

pics? of what, my gas gauge? and trip meter?

~justin

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
what was the other night??

OH when i got a freakin 120 dollar ticket for going through a stopsign? or what?

~justin

1 - 20 of 32 Posts