Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So someone decided to key the Commemorative last weekend...people suck. Insurance is only going to pay to get the paint blended. The whole entire driver's side is keyed all the way down from the rear and onto the hood, and the passenger side is keyed pretty badly too. I will post pics once I get the car back from my dad.

The car needs to be repainted in the next few years, the trunk has a spot that doesn't match, the hood is all oxidized and won't stay away, the rest of the paint is pretty faded even after spending a week wet-sanding/buffing. The car is 99% rust free and once the spg gets some springs, the Commed will be going in the garage.

So now I have a decision to make, take the money and use it towards a full paint job, or have the shop blend the paint, and repaint the hood.

what would you guys do?

Here is what she looked like before the keying

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Save the money for a full paint job. As I understand it, nova black metallic is a tough paint to match. I'd skip the "I hope the work matches" and the "let's pray it turns out looking okay" stages and just save up for a full repaint. Being a convertable,I'd imagine a full repaint would cost less than typical, say $2,000 for a good job.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I agree with 9000Andrew. I would either let it go, or get a full repaint, but nothing in between. It might cost a lot now to get a good paint job, but it will most likely be cheaper than doing a little here and there over time.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Plus, prep for the car would be incredibly easy...you don't have to deal with a roof, a hatch, the top of doors, etc. Just remove lights, bumpers, etc, sand and prime.

And if the car is 99% rust free, you don't need to pay for crazy bodywork either. I would look on CL for a side job painters/shops that are in between work. You can probably get a good deal around this time of the year.

·
c900 Grognard
3,713 Posts
Get the full job. With paint that old, especially in a metallic/clear coat color, there is probably a 95% chance that the panels will be mismatched enough to bother you.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
FU#$ING BASTERDS! A certain Line from Pulp fiction and FU&king with another mans Automobile applies right now. Drop in to Terence's "FINE LINE" out front and see what its going to cost.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Full paint. And, the best part about a fresh, new coat of Nova Black Metallic Clearcoat? It'll still look dusty. ;)

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
totally get an all new repaint, and don't park where you were parked when it got keyed anymore. Ok? Haha, do you have a pic of it after the keying so we can see how bad the damage actually is?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
decided to go for a full repaint. the car had been previously repainted anyways, the trunk and the passenger side as there is quite the paint line where the side moldings used to be...Car was quoted at $1400 for the repairs. Not worth it when I can get a full repaint for $600 more and not have to worry about matching paint.

anyways for now until she goes into winter hibernation here are some pics. Its touch to see how deep the scratches are, but they are all the way through.

think I am going to make redoing the rubber around the top an immediate goal for the winter.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
This kind of shit makes me so angry - that someone would key a random stranger's car for no damn reason other than to get his tiny little rocks off is absolutely ridiculous. I hope the douche responsible has this happen to him someday. I worried about this sort of thing happening to my 900 back in college just about every thurs-fri-sat night.

I look forward to seeing the new paint - guess at the very least this is a good excuse to go ahead with it sooner rather than later.

Chris

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hopefully karma will come around and get the douche that did that. Its bad enough they got the door but to carry it nearly all the way around the car. Thats just cruel.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
First of all; can you feel the scratch with your finger nail? Can you definitively tell if it is through to the primer? I would personally try and polish it since I think that there are areas in the picture that could be polished out, plus you don't have much to lose trying anyway.

If not, I definately vote for a full repaint. That really sucks hard though, I'm sorry. :(

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First of all; can you feel the scratch with your finger nail? Can you definitively tell if it is through to the primer? I would personally try and polish it since I think that there are areas in the picture that could be polished out, plus you don't have much to lose trying anyway.

If not, I definately vote for a full repaint. That really sucks hard though, I'm sorry. :(
yes I can feel it with my finger nail...Already had it looked at by a restoration shop and they agreed only way to fix it was paint. I think I can get the trailing ends with the buffer but honestly it is just going to sit in storage until spring and get repainted when it gets warm. Plus my spg needs more work and its getting really cold (no garage).

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ya...get a full paint job...its amazing what some people do....My friends Alfa Romeo Spyder got keyed a while back on the door...I am always worried about my 900 tho...always keeping an eye out...I try and scope out cameras at parking lots and park my car under them...it makes me feel better. =D I know my c900 isnt perfect...but one that is rust free and all body panels are perfect except for the paint. So I do everything I can to keep it tightly maintained and looked after. And hope that I dont catch you keying my car...cuz Im a crazy kid...lol Anyways that sucks man...I feel for you...if you gonna get a full paint job get a good one...its gonna be pricey but you said you gonna keep it in the garage...if so...that paint job will last you another 25 years.

Cheers
JET

·
Registered
385 Posts
People can suck. Why couldn't they pick on a run of the mill chrysler or toyota?

I agree with everyone else especially since the paint has been done already, full repaint.

Maybe dash cams will be an option one day to catch people damaging our cars so they could be caught. Karma will get them.

Good luck

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
People can suck. Why couldn't they pick on a run of the mill chrysler or toyota?

I agree with everyone else especially since the paint has been done already, full repaint.

Maybe dash cams will be an option one day to catch people damaging our cars so they could be caught. Karma will get them.

Good luck
Sucks man. My first 900 (1992 900TC) got keyed, AND the top cut right down the center, from front to back. Top and headliner. They keyed down the side of in the same manner. Believe it or not, they damn-near totaled the car out because of the paint damage and the cost to replace the top and headliner.

·
Registered
77 Posts
that absolutely sucks. I work in Balto (I see you are in the area too), and my 5-series (daily driver) just got keyed as well. They even got some of the glass. This is the reason I retired my C900's from routine duties.

~Junkie

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
dude that sucks!! So sorry for you man!! I wonder who is the kinda of moron that likes to key Saabs? Probably all Volvo owners!!*

1 - 20 of 25 Posts