Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any difference between the BCRP7ES or BCPR7ES-11? I thought I read the 11 have a different (longer) electrode?

I read on genuinesaab's site they say on one page to use the BCPR7ES-11 for any DI equipped car with modded ECU, and on another page they say for all Modded ECU 9-3's to use BCRP7ES. just wanna make sure I get the right one. I am hoping running these colder plugs will be extra insurance against the possibility of knock...

the car is a 2002 9-3 SE if it makes any difference, thanks in advance for the help.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
next newbie question.

Do i need to use some sort of greases or anti-seize or thread lockers on anything when replcaing plugs? I know I need to gap them correctly, but what else do i need to do?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
You probably don't have to worry about gapping them properly since it should come with the right gap...Also I didn't use any grease, just take the old ones out, and then tighten the new ones with your hand, and then tighten a little bit more with a torque wrench...Not too tight...

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no anti-seize or anything? The "how to" i was reading mentioned dielectric grease on the rubber boots of the DI, anti-seize on the plug threads, and threadlocker on the valve cover/cassette...

I have a torque wrench but it is for much higher torque than suggested for the plugs. (they suggested 8 ft.lbs, i think?) Mine is for like 120 ft lb and up.

·
Registered
475 Posts
You do want to slap some dielectric grease on the DI...and you also want to make sure you check the gap of the plug...it should come out of the box gapped properly but if it is not and the gap is too big, you will kill the DI. I actually gap mine a little bit shorter than spec...but not much.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
xaamottomaax said:
You do want to slap some dielectric grease on the DI...and you also want to make sure you check the gap of the plug...it should come out of the box gapped properly but if it is not and the gap is too big, you will kill the DI. I actually gap mine a little bit shorter than spec...but not much.
no anti-seize on the plugs though?

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
if you get the -11 they are pregapped to 1.1mm :wink: If you open the gap that far on a regular (no -11 not saab box) the plug life is shortened. All that come from saab are -11s So in short get them from saab. Order by pn!

·
Registered
38 Posts
This may be the dumbest thing you guys have ever heard but how do u gap plugs. It seems like everyone knows so i know it isnt anything crazy.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Get a plug gapper...tool with lots of thin metal plates of different widths, slide the appropriate width (they are labeled) under the electrode of the plug (the metal hook that bends out where the plug sparks) and tap it down so the plate sits snug in this gap. If the plate will not fit, simply bend the electrode up and then tap to bend back down to the right width. Make sense?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts