Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whenever i start driving when its below 30 or so, the car makes wierd noises when ever i hit a little bump. These noises sound really really horrible, and it only happens within about 5 mintues of starting my car in the freezing cold. Any ideas what this is? I thought my car was scraping when i first heard this about a month ago but it starred happening again last night. My car is low, but now low enough to scrape on manholes or whatever else it makes that sound on. Do the dampers drop the car in the winter due to the cold? I would think they use some gas in them that is not affected by the temperature as much.....but that may just be aftermarket dampers. Any thoughts would be appreciated

·
Administrator
668 Posts
I have konis and i have the same thing.... when i start and its cold then i go over a bump its like a squeaking noise.... its not rubbing its just the shocks moving up and down, they are sorta like frozen.

Its nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
18 Posts
same here

i'm pretty sure that when you first start the car in the freezing cold from over night or something, the chassis is extremely stiff and rickety, but it does go away after a few minutes of driving correct?

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
its because of cold bushings. My car has been doing this canstantly lately, but all the bumps in my road tend to quiet it before i get to the end of the neighborhood
(it has not gone above 15 F for like 2 weeks now)

Brian

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the same prob with my winter car, I know its not a saab, but its the same prob. When I start the car up and leave my appartment complex over the speed bumps the suspension sounds like its going to crack and break ... there just cold, its cold metal against cold metal, the just need to warm up, thats why it goes away after a couple of minutes ....

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
b dash rian said:
its because of cold bushings. My car has been doing this canstantly lately, but all the bumps in my road tend to quiet it before i get to the end of the neighborhood

Brian
keep your car in a garage while you are at work, or leave it in a garage at home, and you will notice a difference in noise

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah it goes away, its just a pain in the ass. Could it be the cold as well as well as worn out shocks????? I really want konis and this would just give me an excuse :)

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I have the same problem with my right front suspension. It makes loud bumping noises when I go over potholes and bumps in the road. It sounds like shit...Erie roads suck ass...Anyways. Mine doesn't go away after driving for awhile in the cold. I just had the struts checked out at the dealership and they said they were fine...Who knows...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts