Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again!
I was wondering if anyone was able to find a cold air intake.. other then the one located on the abbott racing site.. or at least one that can be found in canada!
I heard from some mechanic that he found that on the viggen he did one and used a new mitsu. lancer intake kit and jsut did a few mods to it. does anyone know forsure?
im not to.. mechanically inclined.. i dont have a shop in my garage or n e thing like that. i'm the guy that just hands it off to someone else and says. do this. haha
I wish i had the skills to do this all myself but i dont! so i need your help!
Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi again

I was reading Saab Central, and some guy named Stoffe posted this - I found it to be very interesting.

Since the 9-5 uses Trionic 7 it won't gain any horsepower at all by changing airfilter, dumpvalves (a dumpvalve never give an increase. It mearly helps to keep up the turbo preassure when shifting gears) racecatalyst, intercooler and so on. The Trionic 7 ECU is working towards toque/power instead of turbo preasure, which means that if the ECU is programmed to produce 230 bhp the ECU would regulate the turbo pressure depending on the surrounding H/W and climate to reach that power. Not like the old Trionic 5 which uses a predefined turbo pressure to gain whatever power it can depending on the surrounding H/W and climate.
In short terms:
You put a sport airfilter and a racecatalyst on a T7 car without upgrading ECU. Powerincrease = 0 bhp
You put a sport airfilter and a racecatalyst on a T5 car without upgrading ECU. Powerincrease = about 10-15 bhp

So, the only thing i can suggest is for you to get an ECU-upgrade. At least if you are aiming for more power.
Full thread here: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26291

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Fogive me as I may be wrong, but that sounds completely ridiculous. Basically what he said implies that anything aftermarket (whether it be an intake for exhaust) won't yield performance increases unless the ECU is upgraded.

That is totally wrong because there are numerous people that have upgraded parts on their T7 and the performance has been increased...without upgrading the ECU.

So I find that completely ridiculous.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone else have their opinions..
I personally also think that thats a little bit far fetched.. however i am not familair with the computers on teh saab..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Trionic 7 is a funny beast..
What you may find by altering intakes/exhausts, is a quicker spool of the turbo etc..
But net BHP gain will be small compared to older systems, as T7 works on airmass/torque output, if the requested torque is reached ahead of schedule, T7 will then look at ways of keeping within limits.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
i believ in another discussion, someone said that the t-7 system will not allow hp past the quoted max. But as for an air filter, that wont neccesarily give hp, but will allow air easier flow into the engine. This easier airflow=quicker spool up times=turbo kicking in a little sooner

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah i was talking with the VP of the Saab Owners Club Of Canada.. and he was tellin me that teh computer wont allow it to gain any .. noticable WHP really.. however you would notice an increase in turbo spool time and things liek that.. so he would reccomend it. its just a matter of finding the parts.
PLease help me on that one too! :)
thanks

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
cant find = make it
too bad my moms 9-5 has that shitty ass GM V6 shit in it
or else i would make one and hook you up with it

·
Registered
37 Posts
Does anyone think the open airfilter will suck water into the engine?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Water ingress is possible, depends how deep you intend to venture into water.
With a open cold air intake, the base of the filter will be around the top of the front fog light, the std air filter is housed there but draws air via some snorkel arangement from centre of chrome grill area.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Water intake can happen if you locate the filter in an area that may see lots of water. I say lots because most filters (which are either made up of cloth or foam) nautrally have the ability to absorb water without it leaking into the inlet pipe. However if submerged, or around a puddle...it can suck water up into the inlet.

Many people position their intakes inside the engine bay...which hardley EVER sees water. Others position behind the fog light, which of course has a highly possibility of seeing water only because its located closer to the ground. This does hardly ever occur..(I've never personally heard of a case).

So like its already been said...it depends on the location of the filter. All in all, I just wouldn't drive through any deep puddles. :roll:

·
Registered
39 Posts
It does happen on 9-5's and cars like it with the filter location where it is :roll:
Even Abbott managed to suck up water in thier project 9-5 with open intake.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've pretty much heard most of those things. I know I would be careful most of the time, but its just the one time that I forget and go through a puddle thats a bit deep and then I'm screwed. Maybe I'll just get the speedparts open airfilter for the summer, and go back to the stock setup during winter/spring... I just need to make up my mind. Does anyone have the speedparts kit on their 9-5?

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
You can gain power and torque on T7 with stock ecm... I have the dyno charts to prove it. :D There are some limitations if you get really wild with bolt ons.. More on this in a future article.

The open air kit for the 9-5 is nice. It is mounted high enough that water is not an issue. It helps with the lag and a bit more top end.

·
Registered
475 Posts
All you need for an open air intake is a 3" diameter piece of aluminum tubing about 4 inches long and any 3" performance cone air filter. Remove the snorkel and stock air box and then insert the tube into the intake and tighten. Then attach air filter to other side of tube and tighten. You will need to remove the grill to detach the snorkel and the passenger side turn signal to remove/attach to the intake. This can be done with simple hand tools. Lifting the car will help greatly in removing the stock air box and snorkel. The speedparts kit is very nice and has everything you need, but since it is imported from Sweden it is fairly expensive. I picked up a Tenzo R filter and the tube piece for around $30. You get a nice sporty sound, quicker spool/throttle response and improved top end pull. GO FOR IT!
[/img]

·
Registered
37 Posts
I orderd the speedparts kit from genuine saab last night. I can't wait until it gets here. (my airfilter is way past its time for a change also) I'll try and take some pics of the install.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
All im seeing are Red X's man :(

1 - 20 of 51 Posts