Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i emailed a company called speednosis (speednosis.com) about their Intercooler Drop Zone System. It comes with everthing needed...co2 tank, steel braided hose, solenoid, spray bar etc. just check their website for more info. These things are known to work, and give a major kick in power when you turn em on...so im just gauging interest in these kits while i wait to hear back from the company.

·
Administrator
668 Posts
how much are they? how much power do they add? what are the dangers?

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not sure of the price yet. they can add anywhere from 20-50 or 60 hp depending on your boost levels, size of intercooler, and capacity of your motor to begin with. As for dangers there are non ethat i am aware of becaus eyour arent injecting anything into your engine your just creating a 30-50% cooler airmass...just as if you had a gigantic intercooler. Also its not explosive like nitrous.

·
Registered
37 Posts
how easy is it to refill their tank and how much would that cost?

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the tank can be refilled at any sporting goods store, or any store that refills paintball tanks and such...its just plain compressed co2. The compression forces it into a liquid, and when sprayed it is spraying at 1000psi, which makes it at approx -100 degrees. (i know you didnt ask that but i wante dto add it)

the cost of refilling would most likely be under 10 dollars depending on the store you go to.

·
Administrator
668 Posts
wouldent that damage the intercooler? also for an estimated 10$ how many sprays would i get?

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
The amount of sprays would depend on how long you held it, an the size of your C02 bottle. Im sure that people who paintball know whats up.

Anyone who has been paintballing before, knows how cold compressed C02 gets. So im sure this would work, but since C02 isn't combustable....will it still burn when mixed with fuel without leaving Carbon in your engine?

·
Administrator
668 Posts
its not sprayed into the intercooler.... its just sprayed over it.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah...ced nothin is sprayed into the engine a bar is mounted on the front of the intercooler which releases the co2 with a pressure of 1000 psi...it just acts to cool the metal ALOT which makes the air hitting it do even more cooling. And no theres no evidence that it would damage the intercooler, many high power turbo cas are running these systems as opposed to nos.

The amount of sprays would depend on how you use it...whether you spray to cool down before you will do some heacy driving of if you spray during a race or something. Im not sure what size bottle the kit uses...but i do know that another company who sells a kit with a 20 ounce bottle claims 50 seconds to a minute of spray time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
yeah, these kits look pretty cool and there's actually quite a few to choose from. Nitrous Xpress and Cry02 look "cool"

Take a look at the Cry02 one, they have an option for an intake cooler...but I was actually thinking about using it to cool the air going through the delivery pipe from the intercooler to the TB...that is, as soon as MP starts selling the big metal pipe...

·
Registered
161 Posts
i was reading thier site and it stated CO2 temps of -100 deg....so maybe if the air passing through that tube took to -50 deg, wouldn't that dmg the engine going from neg deg to ignition? was kinda thinking it might warp the piston heads or something? just kinda curious though not all that educated in this area yet....thanks

·
Registered
584 Posts
Coops93 said:
i was reading thier site and it stated CO2 temps of -100 deg....so maybe if the air passing through that tube took to -50 deg, wouldn't that dmg the engine
Take those numbers with a grain of salt. I built a homebrew Co2 system for my Corrado when it still had the g60 charger and stock IC on it, and the max temp difference I recorded was about 20 deg. drop (so if the air you're delivering is 200 deg. F, it'll be 180 deg instead.) That was for a pretty long spray period before and during a hard run.

That's a barely noticeable drop power-wise, and less than a good intercooler upgrade will get you. I abandoned the system because it wasn't worth the hassle.

The only difference that there could be between my homebrew system and the ones sold from tuners is the nozzle. All the other stuff is standard hardware avilable off the shelf anywhere. And I doubt there could be a big difference from one nozzle to another, since you're just trying to cool something, not atomize a liquid or anything fancy like that.

In the end, IMHO, you'd be better off doing a tiny shot of nitrous oxide, even a dry one. You still get the cooling effect, and you're adding o2 at the same time. Tune it well and it'll be safe.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i just felt it was a bad idea for nitrous at almost 180k miles. So...the cryo2 system is good but pricey, and the nx express is about the same price...id be willing to try a group buy on whichever you guys want if your interested. I really believe that will help my boosting issues and such.

·
Administrator
668 Posts
If what drivers found is saying is true.... why bother? I wana see some performance charts.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Boxerchip said:
If what drivers found is saying is true.... why bother?
What I'm saying is true to the extent of my experience with a similar system to those being discussed here. I'm also trying to speak in a "bang for the buck" point of view. If you're just looking for some cool gadget to put on your car, by all means do it - it's a pretty rare concept!

If you're doing it for performance gains though, I'd spend plenty of time trying to track down actual users of the system. When I built mine, I asked on some of the largest auto forums on the net and found it hard to get in touch with anyone who had emperical data about using the stuff.

i just felt it was a bad idea for nitrous at almost 180k miles.
If it's a bad idea for nitrous, it's a bad idea for anything. Properly tuned, nitrous won't be any worse or better for your engine than something like this. Sure, it's easier to mess up the tuning with a nitrous system than with something like this, but you *can* mess anything up when you're upgrading. . . .

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Driver,

This is, as the kids say, the shiznit.

This isn't something I'd use everyday -- and not when it's -10 already -- but this would add a nice chill to any IC on a hot summer night...

·
Registered
584 Posts
mike saunders said:
This isn't something I'd use everyday -- and not when it's -10 already -- but this would add a nice chill to any IC on a hot summer night...
On April Fool's day few years ago on VWVortex I convinced a bunch of people that I had a liquid nitrogen spray on my IC. I'll have to see if I can dig that thread up. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts