Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight will shifting hard, suddenly my clutch dropped to the floor and wouldn't let me engage any gears. I had one of my mechanic friends look at it and he said he couldn't find a problem with the cable. So he thinks its internal...most likely clutch.

Anyone have a problem like this?

·
Administrator
254 Posts
Wow Cedric, that sucks! The problem has to be clutch cause its not like your tranny dropped to the floor. I hope you figure out what the problem is!

Kyle

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay well I replaced the clutch cable today, and well....its doing the same thing. Sooooo Im looking at a new clutch.

I don't have the Grand to drop on it, so I'm going to tackle the job with a friend/mechanic.

This is gonna be a baaaad winter.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Hey, I'm sorta new here, I have a 97 900s with the 2.3

I recently got my license back, after a few speeding tickets and an accident that totaled my last car.

I was recently doing some burnouts with my car, and as it was bouncing off rev-limiter, I thought it would be cool to shift to second to continue the burnout, but as I shifted into second, it bogged way down, so I drove home, and I drove in the driveway, and I went to put the car in reverse so I could take the keys out(I hate this), and it would go in reverse, and the pedal was really really loose, and I couldn't get it in any other gear either, so I crammed it into reverse, a little bit of a grind, but not too bad :roll:

I then pressed the clutch all the way down, and tried to start the car again, as soon as it started, it wanted to go backwards, and when I gave it gas it'd try and go in reverse too.

So I shut the car off and looked under the hood, I followed the clutch cable back, and at the end the cable goes through the "hammer" (the part that moves the actual internals in the clutch), and on the other side is a white plastic "stopper" that is shaped to fit the hammer, and prevents the cable from going through the hammer, it also moves it. The cable was loose, so when I pressed on the clutch, it was pulling the stopper against the hammer tight enough to engage the clutch all the way, the way I fixed it you ask?? Well, I have an appointment with the fine people at www.saabandvolvo.com next week to replace my clutch cable, but for the time being I just simply turned the stopper sideways, I INCLUDED PICS OF THIS, and I'm not sure how well I trust this till next week, but when my dad and I get home we are gonna wrap it in duct tape (oh yeah), hopefully it wont melt...

~justin

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice job on the fix ;) It does sound like your having a clutch cable problem and that's pretty inexpensive. Hope replacing the cable works for ya.

Oh and Welcome to TSL!!!

·
Registered
745 Posts
I saw this old post and had to respond...

I have the 97 900...

did someone say 97 900 with a 2.3....hmmm must be a serious mod going on there...and I can understand why the speeding tickets.

I replaced my cable clutch system with the upgrade from talifero's....or genuinesaab. It's basically a hydraulic clutch kit from a 98 900. Works like a charm..., softer clutch pedal, smoother shifting.., no more cable problems. The best money spent on the car so far.

Put a viggen clutch and pressure plate system in.., and a short-throw shifter, and don't want to buy another car without one....short-throw.

just food for thought...

regards

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
lmao, definately an old post if i ever saw one.

the speeding tickets weren't with the saab, my saab is all stock under the hood, and with no turbo, it isn't that fast, lol, the tickets were with my old car, a 95 jeep grand cherokee with a 5.2 liter v8, i had a k&n fipk, and a new ecu, it was pushing about 250 hp, and 250 tq it hauled

~justin

·
Banned
5 Posts
New NANO-Car for $2,500

Tonight will shifting hard, suddenly my clutch dropped to the floor and wouldn't let me engage any gears. I had one of my mechanic friends look at it and he said he couldn't find a problem with the cable. So he thinks its internal...most likely clutch.

Anyone have a problem like this?
Its four small wheels are at the absolute corners of the car to improve handling. There is a small trunk, big enough for a duffel bag

http://globalshop1.com/p1.htm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts