Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep getting this clunk from the driveline when I accelerate anything above light throttle...its seems to clunk right as the power is given to the wheels...if that makes sense ??? I checked the CV joint boots and they are all sealed...could they still be worn out ?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I'd be willing to bet your problem is an inner driver. The same thing is notorious on 99-02 9-3's. I think it's usually the passenger inner driver that goes.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
I'd be willing to bet your problem is an inner driver. The same thing is notorious on 99-02 9-3's. I think it's usually the passenger inner driver that goes.
Those do not clunk when bad.... rather vibrations when accelerating.

To me it sounds like motor/trans mount. Give them ALL a look over. Usually you get a clunk in reverse for the lower rear motor mount. I would suspect upper trans or upper engine mount based on symptom.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
^---Oh, I thought he was talking about a constant, audible clunking noise under heavy accleration. If it just clunks once and then goes away then you're definitely right....probably the transmission mount.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
yeah no clunk during braking...the mount under the battery is pretty new...Im going to replace both drive shafts this winter anyway...they have at least 80K miles on them or they could have 150K (but I doubt that) any difference in brands with these...I was thinking new not reman...In addition there is always the chance someone replaced the outer and did not pull out the inner because it is such a PITA.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I have found that clunks transmit thru the suspension to no end.

Check:
Subframe bolts.
Control arm bolt at subframe and stanchion arm.
Tie rods and tie rod adjustment screw (mine was loose)
sway bar end links.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
I have found that clunks transmit thru the suspension to no end.

Check:
Subframe bolts.
Control arm bolt at subframe and stanchion arm.
Tie rods and tie rod adjustment screw (mine was loose)
sway bar end links.
VERY TRUE - I would check all of these before throwing money away on new axles...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts