Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I found way how to stick 18cm2 hx40 to stock mani in my 9-3 b204.
Problem with too laggy housing and small wastegate hole in one of scrolls.
I was wondering what will happen if I block one of scroll ( this with no wastegate hole , which is closer to compressor side )
Wapedia - Wiki: Turbocharger
Then all exhaust pressure will go to one scroll ( orig 18cm2) so 9 cm2 with one scroll closed? :)?
Anybody have exprience with this , if yes which scroll should be closed ?
external or internal ?
Any ideas guys ?
cheers

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
there is a company that actually makes a flange that goes in between your exhaust manifold and turbo that does exactly this. it is a boost actuated flapper valve that opens the second scroll once you hit X PSI so that you get faster spool, but the top end of the larger turbo. i cant remember who makes it though :(

ETA: behold how fucking awesome I am at the internet: http://www.spracingonline.com/store/Sound_Performance_Quick_Spool_Valve/3643

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there is a company that actually makes a flange that goes in between your exhaust manifold and turbo that does exactly this. it is a boost actuated flapper valve that opens the second scroll once you hit X PSI so that you get faster spool, but the top end of the larger turbo. i cant remember who makes it though :(

ETA: behold how fucking awesome I am at the internet: http://www.spracingonline.com/store/Sound_Performance_Quick_Spool_Valve/3643
i can feed both holes in divided inlet but with stock mani , stock cams in b204 boost will come after 4500 so not really good to play ....

you'll be losing efficiency of the turbo as a whole, why not get a single scroll holset.
can You tell me more about Your point of view ?

I am not expecting to use 100% efficienty of hx40w by feeding one scroll from b204 - COmtrang get about 400 whp from 1.3 bar of boost from hx35 with stock internals of b204

I will be happy if i get 1 bar of boost from hx40 b204 stock mani...

cheers
danny

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
i can feed both holes in divided inlet but with stock mani , stock cams in b204 boost will come after 4500 so not really good to play ....
exactly, thats the entire point of the device that i linked you. it closes off one of the sides until you've built boost, and then opens up so you get the top end efficiency

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
exactly, thats the entire point of the device that i linked you. it closes off one of the sides until you've built boost, and then opens up so you get the top end efficiency
Right , but this device cost this same what i paid for car and holset alltogether :D - I wil give it a shot and report back ...

but anybody can predict what will happen ? good spool from 2500 ? high boost but high exhaust back pressure at 5000 - 7000 rpm , high egt at high rpm ??

originaly is 18cm2 hot side / feeding one scroll only gives about 9cm2 hot side so not bad compared to td04hl15t from viggen/aero with 5cm2 hot side ?

somebody told me that some of models hx35w have 9cm2 divided hot side
not really similar but maybe hx40w feeded by one scroll ( 9cm2 hot side ) wil be better that td04hl19t ???

Anybody know what is base boost in internal wg hx40w ?
numbers from turbo plate:
P1010341 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

cheers
danny

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I am not expecting to use 100% efficienty of hx40w by feeding one scroll from b204 - COmtrang get about 400 whp from 1.3 bar of boost from hx35 with stock internals of b204

I will be happy if i get 1 bar of boost from hx40 b204 stock mani...

cheers
danny
This, I regret to inform, is actually incorrect. After over a year of fucking around with everything else, I came to the conclusion that my boost gauge was screwy. And it was. I'm now running a gauge I bought at Lowe's in the swimming pool section. fml. At the time of dyno, I really have no idea how much boost I'm running. That might sound really stupid, but I had no reason to suspect it at the time because it wasn't very old and other things seemed plausible at the time.

Honestly, what I would do is get some springs and cams. I don't think the turbo is a horrible choice but even with my HX35, I'm still making a ton of torque at rev limit that isn't being taken advantage of. Buy a set of Volvo springs and rev to 8k, pick up a set of cams so you can breathe, and then use the damn thing. Don't limit yourself to 400whp for sure, it definitely gets boring after awhile. I'm in the process of figuring out my next step not leaving out the possiblity of almost twice as much. That or leave it and build a Honda.

That device, I think I saw it on DSMltuners, definitely cool. I bet I could get away with slipping it on my car without having to modify the downpipe.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This, I regret to inform, is actually incorrect. After over a year of fucking around with everything else, I came to the conclusion that my boost gauge was screwy. And it was. I'm now running a gauge I bought at Lowe's in the swimming pool section. fml. At the time of dyno, I really have no idea how much boost I'm running. That might sound really stupid, but I had no reason to suspect it at the time because it wasn't very old and other things seemed plausible at the time.

Honestly, what I would do is get some springs and cams. I don't think the turbo is a horrible choice but even with my HX35, I'm still making a ton of torque at rev limit that isn't being taken advantage of. Buy a set of Volvo springs and rev to 8k, pick up a set of cams so you can breathe, and then use the damn thing. Don't limit yourself to 400whp for sure, it definitely gets boring after awhile. I'm in the process of figuring out my next step not leaving out the possiblity of almost twice as much. That or leave it and build a Honda.

That device, I think I saw it on DSMltuners, definitely cool. I bet I could get away with slipping it on my car without having to modify the downpipe.
It will be temporary solution until I finish my mani
( my poor holset waiting few months in garage to do some work )
- I decided go DIY for manifold but I am not really good at welding :/
so at the moment it looks like this :D
DSC01810 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Btw Comtrang can You help me with this dimension? :
mani | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

So what level of boost are You running at the moment? ( about 400 whp - right ?)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts