Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i get this annoying clicking noise usually after the car warms up. It stops some times but is usually clicking most of the time.It will go on for about 10 min and go off for 5 min probably. It also speeds up when i hit the gas....so im thinking that its something to do with a belt....but i dont know if belts can make that kind of noise and why would it go on and off. pleaseeeee help me this is so frustrating....thanks, will

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
well - i doubt it's tappets :? Watch the pulleys and belts when it's running for any excessive movements (wobbling) and things of that sort. Also - little things we tend to forget - check the oil :p

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Make sure its not around where your tranny is, because my car was making a clicking/wobbling noise (like a bearing was out), and i ended up being my tranny.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
i know we've had a few warm days lately, not sure where you are, but has your a/c been on while this happened, cause i had my a/c on, and i could really notice the difference, and if i wasn't moving, or had the clutch in, it'd make two really loud clicks probably every minute.

~justin

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i thought it was the ac at first but i turned it off and checked....still happens with the ac off.....i havent checked the oil....ill do that this afternoon

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well thank you for the input....i think i coulda killed my car if i drove it any longer......it was extremely low on oil. The oil barely touched the dipstick....i think it was about a quart low. that coulda been reaaal bad. Im not usually that idiotic....but it was at the dealer like 2 weeks ago so i assumed they would at least top it off or check it and tell me it was low....cause it was in there for like 2 weeks. anyway i hate my dealer...but thats beside the point, cars running great now thanks for the help

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Ahhhh....that was probably valve lifter noise. You'll often hear that tapping on a cold start but it should go away after the first 30 seconds or so once the oil pressure builds throughout the engine. If it sounds like that after a couple of minutes, or if you're looking at a used car and it's doing that, be very afraid....

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
ya, my engine has a very subtle clicking, which i think is the valves, but i am afraid to have it changed, because on our motorcycle, "loud valves are happy valves"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts