Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was wondering how to safely degrease my engine. Like I know I should probably cover up the distributor cap and battery, but are there any other things I should worry about water getting into if I just randomly spray water from a hose in the engine bay? What degreaser should I use? I want to get it looking fairly nice.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm rubbish at bodywork stuff and engine detailing because I don't have patience and it is all an investment - you can easily see the difference between a quick hose down and a thorough job.

Degreaser is your first port of call. Any stuff will work, don't fall for expensive brand names; they are all so very similar.

Get the engine running so it is warm, that will warm up the gunk, soften it and make it easier to remove. Spray the degreaser liberally, avoiding obvious wiring terminals and rub it in. I like a washing up brush. Leave it for a bit.

Spray more on and rub it in, be a bit more liberal and it will start to come off. When it is getting visibly cleaner you can start to hose it off. A steam cleaner is much better. You can small ones in hardware stores. It is not a miricle devise but it does help.

Be warned! When you start cleaning, especially the body panels in the engine bay be prepared to find rot. Still, better find it sooner rather then later :D

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I'm a big believer in never washing a hot engine. That's a good way to warp a head IMO.

If your motor and bay is really gunked, get yourself a big jug of Purple Power cleaner and degreaser and a pump spray bottle. Spray the stuff on the motor liberally and let it sit for e few minutes. Try not to get too much on the exterior paint. Hose it off and repeat until you're satisfied with the results. Be sure to rinse the stuff well. It is acidic and will etch paint if it's not rinsed off. You may need to use a soft bristle brush on some of the dirty parts and a tooth brush or parts brush on areas like the transmission castings if you've got heavy build-up.

If you're just a little cruddy, you can use S100 Total Cycle Cleaner (motorcycle wash). It's less acidic and can be used on paint as well.

As far as covering up, cover the distributor, and the air intake and then just be careful where you're spraying around other electronic parts or engine openings. A little common sense goes a long way here. Leave the hood open and let the car dry for an hour or so before you try to start it.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Hot water pressure water makes degreasing very easy. At the same time, it's very hard to get access to a steam jenny.

I would advise on Purple Power, cheap degreaser, and some wire brushes in varying sizes. Labor, not products, is the biggest factor while detailing the bay.

Another option one could consider is just taking parts off, one by one, and cleaning them that way. Such is what I would advise if a car isn't a DD and one wants a thorough job. Taking parts off is pretty simple, especially in a 900. Pop the hood off, start taking out intercooler piping, hoses, etc, etc. If you want to go really crazy, take off the intake manifold/TB and clean that and parts underneath too.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this is a DD so I think I'll just power wash it, with some degreaser. Hopefully I can get this done this weekend, but I have some other commitments on Saturday and Sunday. And I have school and soccer games during the week. Thanks for all the advice guys!!!

·
Registered
645 Posts
purple power and S.O.S. pads.. works mint...

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
wash it while its running, also and when your done take it on a long ride to evaporate any water. the one time i washed a 900 when not running and left it out to dry it didn't start. just my 2ct

·
Registered
116 Posts
I use "purple power" which they sell at the autozone near me. I used the "engine gunk" or whatever it's called once, and the cabin smelled like diesel for like three days. I spray it on, let it soak, then go over it again with a spray bottle and a toothbrush/rag. Wear rubber gloves! Just use a plain hose stream to rinse, don't pressure wash it. Be delicate around the distributor, but keep in mind the engine is designed to be at least somewhat water resistant.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
If you cannot find purple power, simple green works just as well. Powerwash at your own risk, yes it will start eventually :twisted:

Simple green with small brushes available for tile/bathrooms or wheels allow you to get in tight spaces.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts