Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over this past weekend i spent about 7 hours detailing my other car. Normally i am all about meguirs, i been wanting to try the zaino, but all i usally do is wash, use a paint cleaner, polish and then wax. So i decided to try claying this time before using the paint cleaner. I had heard some great things about the mothers clay bar so i decided to go with them. Started claying my car and after i was done with an area it felt like glass, I was quite pleased with this and will continue to clay every time i wax now :D took me about 1 1/2 to do whole car, would prob only take about an hour on my saab.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Good stuff. How often can you clay, because waxing is only supposed to like twice a year.

·
Registered
584 Posts
You can clay as often as you want, it's not in the least bit abrasive or damaging like a polish or glaze can be.

All it does though is pull contaminants (really small particles) out of your paint. If you keep your car well waxed and don't live in an industrial area, you probably don't need it more than once or twice a year. I spent a year living about 10 feet from some heavily used train tracks, and I had to clay and wax my car almost once a month. Now that I'm out in the middle of nowhere and my commute is mostly empty back roads, I get by with one claying a year.

It's easy to tell when you need it though - especially after you've felt a freshly clayed car. When it looses the glass feel, it's time to do it agian.

Coops, how often do you detail your car? I used to use the three-step Meguiar's system (cleaner, polish, wax) and I found that I only needed the cleaner about every other waxing, and the polish about every third or fourth waxing. The in-between times, I'd just do a quick coat of wax.

All my detailing supplies were out in the garage over last winter and froze. :cry: All my waxes, cleaners, polishes, etc are pretty much ruined.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i have a 91 crown victoria, last year of the box style, and the 99 saab, i wax them about every 2 months i kinda try and keep them in rotation, but yah i usally keep track of when i use the cleaner and polish, like if i use the cleaner polish and wax then at the next 2 month period i skip the cleaner and polish.

So about every 4 months i use the cleaner and polish, i live in columbus and have to drive past a couple of factorys to school and live off a road thats part of a trucking route for a construction site, always getting my car dirty.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Anyone know WHERE and WHO sells this "claying" stuff and what a product is called? I wanna get some for my 9000 (needs it BAD) and I haven't had a lot of luck yet (some places stopped carring is a month ago :evil: ) Thanks!

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
NAPA! - that's the only name you ran off that we have in these parts - I'll try them tomorrow. Thanks. Now what should I ask for? Clay? I described it to the one guy at Auto Zone and he knew what I was talking about - but they didn't have any.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
just clayed my baby this weekend, it was a bit of a chore, because the detailer spray/lubricant left some nasty streaks, so it went like this:

wash, clay, wash again, wax, clean wheels, apply tire dressing...

A good way to spend some free time on the long weekend soaking up some sun, though... I must say i was also very impressed by the clay bar, it was quick and easy to use...i used mothers, got it at Advanced Auto parts. The detailer spray/lubricant smelled like cinnamon gum. The car looked better than the day i picked it up brand new at the dealer, and this was after claying and before rewashing and waxing. after rewash and wax, it looked like a million bucks. :wink:

i will post some pics later.

·
Registered
584 Posts
abdukted1456 said:
i used mothers, got it at Advanced Auto parts. The detailer spray/lubricant smelled like cinnamon gum.
The Mothers bar isn't the highest quality - hence the streaks. Also, keep it sealed up or it'll dry out and become useless in no time.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
driver found said:
abdukted1456 said:
i used mothers, got it at Advanced Auto parts. The detailer spray/lubricant smelled like cinnamon gum.
The Mothers bar isn't the highest quality - hence the streaks. Also, keep it sealed up or it'll dry out and become useless in no time.
damn - now ya tell me this - well it was all Pep Boys sold (package of 3 Mothers products for $16) with the clay bar - so I bought that - I'm going to go try it out in the shade soon. I'll see if it helps.

·
Registered
584 Posts
It still works fine, it's just not the best.

Use LOTS of the spray lubricant. The clay bar should almost float on it, it shouldn't be rubbing directly against the car. That will help keep the streaks to a minimum.

Also, if you don't feel like washing again to get the streaks out, just polish them off with a clean microfiber (or 100% cotton) cloth immediately after claying that section of the car.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Warning about claying - each time you "clay" you are removing some of the clear coat. It's fine to do it once or twice - but once you have done it 3 or more times it's getting risky. I was informed this by a head of a local dealership body shop. (My friends mother) They will ONLY do it ONCE to their cars that come in - then never again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You really shouldn't clay bar more than once or twice a year to be safe. There are only about two or three companies that actually make their own clay bar so basically all the ones you see are pretty generic, some company just paid to have their name put on the outside.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts