Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
User
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's official! I am going to be in charge of the 1st Annual Claremont Saab Run in Claremont, NH! It will go along the twisty and hilly roads of NH.... We will then parade through the city of Claremont, grab some lunch somewhere, and go park our cars, hang out and show off our Saab's Then we will head back on the rest of the run! I made a map and here is the link...

http://www.saabinonline.com/gallery/album57/claremont_saab_run_2004?full=1

The details!:

Place: 6 Bessie Ave, Claremont, NH 03743
Time: The run will start at 10:30 AM
Date: Saturday, July 10th, 2004
Contact: me, Zach Wallace... either via email, AIM, or phone. PM me for my phone number!

I hope to have a good turnout! :) 8)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
hey, make it a month later and i'll have my license back, lol

bill, if you want, i'll tag along with you again

~justin

·
User
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes... but just let me know by like June 20th or something...

Thanks! :)

·
7,595 Posts
Well I'm back, the meet was great! I'll post up all the goings on tomorrow when I get some free time. I think I made it back to PA from NH in record time 8)

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
you shoulda came by my friends house when you got home - It's now 3:10am and I've only been hom for 10 minutes :p I ate 6 Slices of Pizza - 1/2 a bag of Doritos - 3 Sticky Buns - 3 Cans of Soda - and watched the first 5 or 6 episodes of Farscape - which btw is a very good show. There will be more parties of this sort till we finish off the show's seasons on DVD :shock: :lol: Can't wait to see pics of the meet - sorry I couldn't attend this one. Next time.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The Claremont saab run was a blast guys, my brother and I had a great time. I got quite a few good pics.
Zach: you did a great job of puttin it all together, congrats on your first saab run, can't wait for the next one.

Matty A, my brother and I made it home fine, however we did get pulled over on the way home. Apparently the officer said that I was going a little fast through the center of that town, but started off with such an attitude because I didn't pull over right away. hmmm.... well considering I was driving up a hill and he pulled out of a parking lot of something after I had already gone like 2 miles, I could see him turn on his Blue's but he was so far back, that I could really only Barely see him. So I slowed down and got in the right lane and let him get closer, and as soon as he got closer and moved into the right lane behind me, I pulled over.... Apparently I should have known he was attempting to pull me over and pulled over immediately and wait for him to drive the 2 miles to catch up to me. ok officer, whatever you say. He then proceeded to badger us, what we are doing and why. It seems, spending the day with a bunch of saab guys wasn't a satisfactory reason to be an hour and a half away from home, he asked me to step out of the vehicle where he then patted me down :shock:
and asked me how much I had to drink today.... obviously I hadn't beend drinking, but he didn't seem to believe me, my first thought was to say... you don't believe me? blow me! ..... but caught myself before the words escaped my mouth. Anyway, after searching my viggen and badgering Matty and Chris, meanwhile I am still outside the car.... he said... have a seat in the vehicle.... I was like... ummm... in mine?
officer: yup
me in my head: WOOOHOOOO

so he came back with my license and registration and sent us on our way. Sometimes I think small town cops have nothing better to do than harass people with nice cars. well ya know what.... I WIN.... cause I wasn't doing anything wrong and if I was speeding it was negligable cause he didn't even give me a written warning let alone a ticket, and I know he clocked me cause my radar detector went off when we drove past him. When the detector went off I saw the cop and looked at the speedo and I wasn't speeding...
anyway, all is well and we all made it back, now the viggen needs another detailin... can't wait for next weekend.

·
7,595 Posts
So here's how it went :D

I drove up to Pauls place at NY on Friday cause it was right on the way (well, within 20 min's anyway). We went out with saabkid37 to the local show (similar to the meets that are on 309&663 in PA on Wednesdays). Lots of VW's Subarus, Hondas, Acuras, a few Toyotas, 3 saabs ;) we hung around for a while, checked out the cars. Got to see a good fight :lol: I saw a few punches being thrown and then people just started running and gathering up in a circle. The one dude was running all over the place and when he did, he grabbed a screw jack out of the trunk of an Acura and then started running around with that! I assume he was going to use it as a weapon.... silly person, you use a tire iron for that, not a jack :roll:

So anyway after that we drove around a bit, we went to the races down on some back roads. It gets a little weird here… as the 1st people were lining up to go, someone yelled that there was a cop and in a instant, boom, people were running every which way and taking off. I was sort of in a ditch and when I let off the clutch rather swiftly, the skid plate hit the center of the ditch and the wheels sort of... hopped off the ground, fun fun! So at this point we did a little bit of "rallying" on this dirt road with about 15 cars all running from the cops (which as we found out later may or may not have not even been heading there) better safe than sorry I guess. The dirt was so thick that I couldn’t see anything but the tail lights in front of me and the headlights behind me.

So after all this Paul and I went back to his house cause it was about 12:30 and we had to get up at 5:30 the next morning to get to Claremont in time, however it turns out we could have left at 7:30 and gotten there with time to spare... oh well, no big deal. Following Paul home was quite an adventure, keeping with him on those roads he knows so well was quite a challenge! :D I got into a good 4 wheel drift on one of the sharp turns. It was the type of turn that when you come into it, it does not look bad but as you go, the curve tightens up a lot. My tires just rolled over and the car started drifting on that one :oops: probably does not help that my tires were at like 26 PSI...

Next morning we left around 5:30 and headed out. we probably averaged about 85-90 mph to NH, only saw 1 cop the entire way and we was not "taking pictures". we saw one of the last gen Supras (93-98?) on the highway painted PURPLE... I think it was an n/a model because Paul felt the need to test it out to see how fast it would go ;) He smoked it (literally!) and he looked to have about 2 car lengths by 125ish. I was just hanging back at about 110 watching. We got there around 8:45ish? and talked with Zach till others started showing up. We got to see Zachs (hopeful) 99 turbo that he wants to buy, looks very nice just needs a bit of work.

Zach planned a great run. the drive was great, but we now know, Zach really really needs a new set of shocks! ;) on the dirt / crap asphalt sections of road, my car was seriously slamming and shaking, I can't believe how little my CD was skipping on that :p Roads were great, great scenery, pace was fine (but I would not have minded if it were a hair quicker) we had a little traffic trouble, but nothing major, just got stuck behind a Geo for about 15 minutes, and then a damn Mini van... I don't want to go into too much detail about the run, cause we *should* have some videos up of some point, and I don't want to ruin it for anyone. Overall, it was just great. A special thanks to Zach for planning it and getting us all together.

After the run, we went to Zachs house to check out the videos. they mostly turned out good. I got to read / skim about 1/3 of this one really neat saab book zach had. It's amazing that saab was even able to sell car like the old 96 2-stroke. The amount of problems those stroker engines had.... wow! So after hanging around for a while longer and chatting we all said goodbye and then Paul and I headed out again. We got to do some "top speed" tests on the highway, I think I won that one ;) Neither one of us really knows how fast the cars will go though, cause the spedo hits the peg (135)and then the car will still go a bit faster... One of the things I do like about the stock air box is the cold air snorkel. for all it's restrictions, it does draw in cold air and prevent intercooler saturation, especially at high speeds.

So the rest of the way home., nothing much happened (thankfully)! No tickets, no problems. Great weekend!, thanks Zach

·
User
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys.... you made it happen and it was a blast! I can't wait til I do the next one. I will see most of you at Mt. Snow next weekend. I can't wait til that either. But, the Saab Run was a 100% success. People were great, roads were great, and it was just a good time :) Sorry bout my small house guys lol. Cramming into the den was kind of difficult :lol: . I have pictures as well, and will post them up.... along with.... VIDEOS hehehe ;) I just have to compress the vids. I have a couple though. The only thing I could have done without was that damn Geo and the Blue mini van.... grrrr.... oh well. And thanks Bill for completely persuading me into buying a red viggen...... drooool. I want I WANT. Thanks for letting me drive it hehe. See everyone soon! :)

-Zach

1 - 20 of 49 Posts