Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there any reasonable way to make the cigarette lighter socket not tied to the ignition? i hate being forced to have the car to run just to charge my phone...

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
is there any reasonable way to make the cigarette lighter socket not tied to the ignition? i hate being forced to have the car to run just to charge my phone...
I would imagine you could run a hot wire from the battery... but no idea really, not too inclined in electrics.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Find an "always on 12v line", perhaps tap the red wire to the radio and run it down to the cig lighter. That would be the simple way.

I may run a 12v line from somewhere to a 2 way switch so I can have the cig on "always on" or "ignition".

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I hate how saabs cut off the lighter with the ignition, Why why why would you need the ignition on for that?
Just a guess, but maybe to prevent someone from parking the car overnight and accidentally leaving the cigarette lighter (or charger plug) in, and draining the battery?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Just a guess, but maybe to prevent someone from parking the car overnight and accidentally leaving the cigarette lighter (or charger plug) in, and draining the battery?
I agree that that was probably their intention, but my parents leave cell phone chargers plugged into their other cars' cigarette lighters for weeks on end, and they've never drained the battery. I think it's dumb that our cars switch it off like they do.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I have been in cars that do it both ways.

I should really hard wire the cig lighter sometime.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts