Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted about this on Saab Central also, but I don't seem to be getting much of a response on this.

I will need to replace my front shocks on the '87 SPG, and I was wondering if there's a nice performance shock that won't make my ride on bad NJ roads so jittery... It would be nice to get a little more cushion on those roads, or soon I'll shake my interior all apart.

Swedish Dynamics sells Tokico - are they good? What could I use in my SPG that's respectable as far as handling but also a bit softer on the ride?

Help.

·
7,595 Posts
Tokico are good. don't you still have your original sachs bogue shocks on that SPG? those things never go bad unless they leak! :lol: I have my originals at over 200K

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, the front passenger side shock is leaking. But driving my car around Princeton township is a murder because the roads are just disgusting... Makes me wish I had a more forgiving suspension - that's why I asked if there's a slightly cushier performance shock that I could buy for my SPG when I replace the original ones in front. :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's what I found posted on SaabNet:

Stick with the Boge/Sachs (same company now) if you want a controlled smooth
ride. The KYBs and the Bilsteins are great shocks, but somewhat stiffer than
stock. The KYBs don't have the life of the Sachs or the Bilsteins either.
Neither do they have the cost. The Boge have valving designed for the car, not
shocks that just fit the hole.

If you feel the car "floating" in curves, making clunking noises not related
to other worn parts, or see leaks from the shocks (rare), its time for shocks.
Another indication is cupping of the tires.

I highly recommend the Boge Supers (112102 Boge pn for the front) They'll set
you back around $250 for a set of four.

The dealers are now supplying Tokiko (8105479 saab pn) shocks instead of the
original Sachs. I cannot recommend these shocks, due to longevity. They ride
great though, for a while. They cost more than the Boge, less than the Bilstein.

You might want to consider polyurethane bushing in the bottom only. The rubber
lower bushing gets pounded out usually long before the shock wears out. But
many owners have complained about a harsh ride that transfers too much road
feel when converting to all polyurethane bushings. While you are down there,
pay attention to the sway bar bushings, both at the ends and the frame mounts
for the bar. Polyurethane here would be a good choice if the originals are worn.

Shocks are a matter of individual tastes and driving habits, some like it
stiff and feelly, others want smooth and vibration free. Know what the shock
you choose will give you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i run spax adjustables on my t16s which have a good range of stiffness through the range ,my mate craig got the koni adjustables and i thought they were far to soft ,these might be what you need mate :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think perhaps I'll go ahead and get Boge Turbo shocks or whatever... - close to what originally was put into my car, same manufacturer.

·
Registered
1981 8v c900 sedan, 1990 2.0 9k carlsson, 1992 21 c900 sedan
1,028 Posts
deniss said:
I posted about this on Saab Central also, but I don't seem to be getting much of a response on this.

I will need to replace my front shocks on the '87 SPG, and I was wondering if there's a nice performance shock that won't make my ride on bad NJ roads so jittery... It would be nice to get a little more cushion on those roads, or soon I'll shake my interior all apart.

Swedish Dynamics sells Tokico - are they good? What could I use in my SPG that's respectable as far as handling but also a bit softer on the ride?
I'm no expert on shocks, but the few people I know here in Australia who've done lots of work on suspension with their C900's all recommend Bilstein's. There is a seller on Ebay who regularly sells sets of Bilstein's for Saab's. Their most recent listing relevant to this discussion is here.

US$265 for a full set of Bilstein's doesn't seem too bad. I even asked them recently on the cost to ship a set to Australia and was quoted US$125, which is for express airmail and that's not bad at all. I want to do a lot of suspension work later this year, including poly bushings, etc. My car doesn't have any anti-roll bars (dunno when they became standard on C900's brought into Australia) btw and I am looking currently at the only two places I know of which make them for C900's (Addco being one - I think the other is a Saab performance parts place but don't have the links handy just now).

Craig.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts