Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
it's OK - but that wing is really unique - the 9-3 Whale Tail - very 959 esc I guess... not sure if that wing is really kewl or really not needed.... as for the hood - it's OK. If that car has a funcional hood vent - I guess it's good.

·
Registered
461 Posts
THat hood looks nice. Carbon fiber it and it would look even better

·
Registered
546 Posts
I think it looks great Kevin. I wish someone in the US would make a hood like that.
:wink:
Eric

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I really wanted was to get your guys input on the hood. Some people have knocked the hood I developed so I was thinking of developing another custom hood if there is enough demand. Afterall, aside from my focus on quality and honesty, I like to develop Saab specific products because I really like the cars. Unlike many manufactures who could care less, I want stuff that peoeple truely like and stuff that drives me. If I don't like it, its probably not going anywhere in my shop. For example, that wing of the car is just not my style and looks like a reject from some bad design, but thats not me and I appreciate other's opions. This hood had the scoops positioned a little further back and the vent ridges were a little less aggressive than mine so I thought there might be appeal for this. Thoughts?

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
even though i dont own a 900...

i think in some pics the vents look a little to high up the hood...nice vents but maybe nicer cloaser to the front...but that might be cuz its how im used to seeing hoods with that type of vent

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
I think the vent size is definately good.. could even be slightly larger or wider. Like others have mentioned I feel it needs to be closer to the front of the car (closer to over the manifold rather than mainly over the valve cover). This way the suction cause by air flowing over the hood would pull (and release) the heat generating from off the manifold.

As yes...definately in CF ;)

·
10,303 Posts
I'm sorta going retro....I am grafting classic 900 vents in the old locations, and probably a wrx type air sucky thing above the turbo.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Ya Cedric said it.

It needs to be more to the front of the hood, needs a vent on the side, and also it needs to be a little bigger. Other then that it would look good. Just need to slight adjustments.

Also I think the graphics look kind of gay.

Hey Kevin, it will be shipped out Monday.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I think Blaque _Out's got the right idea..however I would consider making it look more stealth, without the obvious attention to it. I think those big-ass holes with screens are way too obivious.

The racing Vettes or some of the Vipers have the look I think make sense. The hood follows the contours, then a sudden but slight drop behind this gradual increasing slope, with an opening on an angle relative to the IC position. The only mesh screen would be perpendicular to the hood as opposed to horizontal. As hot manifold air releases better, the IC gets cooler air drawn thru.

If I may suggest one of my design ideas.., I've been working on to make it trick.., perhaps a one way door flap operating on vacuum or boost like the older pop-up lights.. but could be electric. I think the flap is necessary to keep the water or snow from getting into the engine area.

I'm not big on lightening the FWD cars, but I think this air flow might make it more aerodynamic. I think the hump back needs her weight over the front wheels, so I would try modifying the rear.

If I were dreaming, I'd find ways to also lighten the ass a little by replacing that heavy hatch with a lighter carbon fiber type for the 900.
regards

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
DC, I know exactly what your referring to.

When I got my ass stomped out by a modded Cobra w/ 510 hp, we stopped him and took a look. His hood was similar to what your referring to.

I'll see if i can get a picture of it, but they vents are definately small. Almost to the point where I don't think there is sufficient area for the heat to escape that quickly.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Tweek has the right idea, and i think in the CF thread around here a week or so ago I posted a picture of something like that a gent in the UK did... I would consider at some point a small subtle hood scoop right near the cone filter intake, as long as there was no worries about water getting in.... I think the guy who did one to his 9-3 had it a bit off set with some ducting so any water that got in would fall away from the filter but the air would still flow toward it.... in other words it was not directly over it but nearby enough to flow some cool air that way....

·
Registered
745 Posts
hood scoop sounds good, but I'm not sure it would really vent air from the engine compartment. It's more a two dimensional concept, with maybe an effect on the cone intake systems most of all...

but using a cowl like system cut right over the manifold, has more of a four dimensional effect; improved engine compartment tempertures; those cone intake systems get cooler air to breathe in; and the IC gets faster air flow from the suction out of the engine compartment, thus pulling more air flow thru it to effectively cool the boost temps, (ie..denser fuel mix, increased combustion efficiency).

I tried attaching some photos but getting booted off each time...with just 178kb...must have exceeded a quota I'm not sure about....but take a look at chevy's yellow racing vettes sometime....subtle but effective.

the differing opinions would probably need a track run, then test the ambient temps in the engine bay to confirm the theories..., but regardless, both ideas have merit, and maybe Kevin could consider both as options.

regards

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
I couldn't find a pic of the Cobra hood I came across.

Hood scoops are usually used for two purposes. 1) Ram Air effect, where the air is forced into the intake system. With a turbo this is extremely unnessecary as the turbo creates a vaccum to gather needed air. 2) For top mount filters or intercoolers, where the filter is located directly on top of the throttle body, or an intercooler is located on top of the throttle body. Scoops do not provide any venting of heat unless the car is not in motion.

With the vented hood being discussed there's no need for any altered intake piping, or special water drainage. The warmer air would be immediately drawn out the top of the hood (as heat of course rises), and cooler air passing under the car will be pulled through the engine bay.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Blaque_Out said:
With the vented hood being discussed there's no need for any altered intake piping, or special water drainage. The warmer air would be immediately drawn out the top of the hood (as heat of course rises), and cooler air passing under the car will be pulled through the engine bay.
Except that I'd hate to run the car for a while and stop during a hard winter rainstorm. Downpipes and manifolds like to cool slooooowly and don't like being doused with cold water. The design looks amazing, as does most of Kevin's car (except possibly, ahem, for the color! :twisted: ) I've been salivating over that amazing rebuilt engine for months now, and I'd hate to have Kevin or anyone hear the unmistakable "ping-ping-PINNNGG" of metal deforming via thermal shock. (I know this is a design that's on the EVO, is there a water channel or some kind of baffle on the Mitsu?)

The idea of the Viper/Vette hood is old-school tech but it works. PRO: A reversed hood scoop would pull air out of the engine bay and minimize water intrusion. CON: It might not cool as directly or as efficiently as the EVO-style hood, though....

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
I've checked out a few auto forums that currenty have EVO hoods, and most of the hoods come with plastic installed under the vent to prevent water from directly going into the bay.

·
Registered
15 Posts
nice vent hood

Hello, Kevin,

The vent hood looks nice. Someone mentioned the water-resisitance problem. Does the water get into the cabin as raining or in a car wash?
By the way, how's the engine sound? noisy or? I am thinking to buy one sample for my NG900 from you and start to promote your great work here.

Stone

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I love that hood. I posted pictures of that same car on here for people's opinions a while ago. I like the car's look too. Minus that spoiler of course...

Does anyone know where I can get those rain guards from?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts