Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found this australian site that sells a build it yourself wideband o2 sensor, the basic kit sells for AU$194 that converts to roughly US$135. You do have to then solder the kit together by yourself, but that shouldnt be a big deal, and you also have to buy the o2 sensor wich is a VW part and sells for about $38 brand new 8). Looks like a pretty good solution for anyone looking to be able to custom tune their car. I know i'll be getting one for my car eventually.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wideband O2 Questions

I installed a wideband instead of the factory sensor, using a Zeitronix controller that simulates the factory sensor output. So far, it works OK. It cost more than the Australian one, but it's complete, with no soldering, just wiring it in.

However, now that I have the data -- what do I do with it? What range AFM is appropriate? How will emissions tests be affected?

Dave Chicago

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pfft, well considering how long it would take to solder one of these things together the Zeitronix setup looks like a steal at $279, and you dont have to wait for the shipping from "down under".

heres the site for anyone thats interested http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/zt2/zt2.htm.

oh and dbrezina, sorry no idea :lol: havent bothered to learn about that sort of stuff yet, not there with my project as of yet :roll: .

Paul

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
gadgetseller.com

they mod your autometer guage or you buy a modded one from them. it is wideband for full-throttle tuning. they also carry other brands and digital guages. check it out.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I don't see how a wideband sensor could work with a $38 VW standard 02 sensor...Every car on the market uses a narrowband sensor (14-15 AFR). A true wideband sensor needs a range from like 12-17AFR and those sensors are pricey.

The friendly folks at the MegaSquirt Forums have a fair amount of info regarding Wideband construction, setup, and tuning.

www.msefi.com

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
8valvegrowl said:
I don't see how a wideband sensor could work with a $38 VW standard 02 sensor...Every car on the market uses a narrowband sensor (14-15 AFR). A true wideband sensor needs a range from like 12-17AFR and those sensors are pricey.

The friendly folks at the MegaSquirt Forums have a fair amount of info regarding Wideband construction, setup, and tuning.

www.msefi.com
well thats the point with the VW sensor it is a wideband sensor, very few new cars are now using wideband o2 sensors and apparently VW is one of them. theres a very similar bosch sensor that is priced much higher than the VW unit, just one of those odd pricing things i guess.

and yeah, megasquirt is gonna be all set very very shortly :wink:

Paul

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Hrmm...interesting...I had heard about the Bosch LSU4 sensor....that's fairly reasonable...but if this VW sensor has good bandwidth then it should definitely make DIY Wideband 02 a feasible proposition

1 - 11 of 11 Posts