Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 96 saab 900s with about 83k miles on it and i would like to know cheap and effective ways to make my saab have better throttle response and acceleration BETTER! cheap meaning giver or take $200 per modification. any other performance mods are always welcome!! thankyou

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
I'd start with the basic. Intake and Exhaust system. A good intake and free flow exhaust can open up some good power. Its also good to do if you plan to further modify your car.

Check out www.genuinsaab.com for both.

Hope this helps, and welcome to TSL!! 8)

·
Registered
134 Posts
you can do mods for free by removing your turbo silencer, grind out the ridge on your throttle body tansition casting, and removing the inlet pipe to your filter box those are all easy cheap mods that are very easy to start with from there you can get a new intake to fully replace the box for better air flow and a boost control will also give you good results for a cheap price also a dual stage boost control is good if you would like to keep your car at stock boost for normal crusing so it is not under as much stress but when you want power just flip the switch and walla more power in a easy flip of the finger and as well at a low price just look around on ebay for turbo xs for a good price and you can save a good amount of money makin it a cheap mod as well

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

when u mention things about turbo, i have a regular non-turbo saab 900s, do i have those? as u can see i dont know much about cars...

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you have a turbo, find the blow off valve. It's the thing that whirrrrs when you change gears. So when you find that, glue it shut with superglue :lol: :lol:

but really, DON'T

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
sweedmachine, you have the same thing as i do, a 900s, mine is a 97, but still the same motor, when you open the hood you will see right on top of the engine that it says 2.3 that means that it's displacement combined between all the cylinders is 2.3 liters, the 2.3 does not have a turbo, and without the turbo we are very slow, the 2.0 liter is the model with the turbo. i think that trying to make the non-turbo fast is sorta pointless, cause it'll take so much just to keep up with the turbo model, the intake and exhaust, that's fine, you'll get better gas milage, and it'll sound better, but that's about it, other than that, either set it up for really good handleing or looks for a show or something, but if you want to make it fast, save up some money and do an engine swap from the 2.0

~justin

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I would disagree Justin. There are plenty of things to do to the N/A to make it faster than the stock turbo models. For example, Mike Connolly owns a N/A 900S with about 265HP (maybe more I can't remember exact figures). I am sure many have heard of him, his web site is currently down, it had all of his car pics. You can see some that I took at my online gallery of the SOC 2003 here http://gallery.gambitdesign.com/robmoul/soc2003

His mods are crazy :)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
ok, that is pretty good to be able to get that out of it, but what does he have done to it, and how much did he spend, on just engine mods??

why can't us non turbo's take the exhaust and turbo parts off a turbo and install it on our engines? they should handle it, the subaru 2.5 rs can handle the turbo from the wrx..

~justin

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
because you also need a new engine management system

you have a bosch ECU, while say a viggen 2.3 T has a trionic 7 ECU

IIRC that would take a shit load of swapping parts, sensors and other things to make it work

In that case, it would probably be easier to put a Turbo engine in it in the first place

My thoughts
Brian

·
Registered
745 Posts
Hi all..new here, but old to the world of SAABs..

Simply adding a turbo to your NA SAAB is going to be dangerous unless you find some pretty high octane fuel to keep her from blowing up.

If you check you compression ratio.., you'll notice your around 10-1 versus the turbo cars at about 8.5-1 or so.

Ideally supercharged or turboed cars run at a compression ratio relative to 8-1 to run on pump gas.

If I were going to modify your NA SAAB, consider improving the breathing, with K&N air filter, better exhaust, and a larger throttle body. Once you improve the breathing, consider the fuel supply.

I would also have the heads gas flowed, ported polish an angle job on the valves, maybe consider larger valves or have your cams modified slightly for increased lift or/and duration. Of course you have to start considering the management of timing and spark delivery.

Validate each mod with a dyno test to verify to increase in performance, or note the "fun" meter when you test her.

good luck....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts