Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what decides the bolt pattern on a car and how can it be changed? i.e. how do you change the bolt pattern on the 9-3 from 5x110 to something else 5x112, 5x114.3, etc....

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
you can get a spacer/adapter with the new pattern pre drilled, but it's definitely not recommended by anyone, except the people who sell the spacers!

It makes the new wheel/hub assembly significantly weaker. People do it all the time, though, especially for show cars that won't see much street or track time. If you had a kickass set of dubs that HAVE to be on your car, then it's not too smart to use it as a daily driver.....

·
Registered
475 Posts
Wheel retailers will also try to sell you on the "drill and fill" technique where they drill out the holes to fit the new desired bolt pattern and then fill in the spots left behind. It is not a completely new set of holes but more of a shifting of the existing holes (we are only talking a couple MM here) but it also will compromise the strength of the wheels. You are best to just stick with the stock bolt pattern. There are more 5x110 rims out there than people generally know about.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what about changing the wheel/hub assy all together? is that an option?

thanks for all the input

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I was thinking about wheel spacers but the least I could go is one inch and it sticks out to much.

About the wheel spacers not being safe I think is false. I know a few guys around here that did them to there trucks for off roading and they have never failed on them and it’s been like over a year now. I think that these are taking a beating as much as running them at the track.

I was thinking about getting my holes drill and fill in at a local shop but never did it. xaamottomaax how does this take away from the strength of the hub? If the holes are being filled in all the way and new holes being drilled in different spots at the same depth as the stock holes what’s wrong with that. Considering you have them balanced, if they need to be.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
snow4_1man said:
I was thinking about wheel spacers but the least I could go is one inch and it sticks out to much.

About the wheel spacers not being safe I think is false. I know a few guys around here that did them to there trucks for off roading and they have never failed on them and it's been like over a year now. I think that these are taking a beating as much as running them at the track.
Spacers are are often used on trucks for a dually look, or for widening the wheel track, but truck hubs are often huge compared to a car hub and allow more mounting studs for adpaters. Also, a truck, even an off road one, isn't going to see the same lateral wheel forces as a track-going car. Rock crawling and high-speed turns are two totally different things.

That said, wheel spacers themselves are totally safe if used with longer wheels studs. The German auto sanctioning body TUV certifies them for use on German roads, including the autobahns. The problem is that some wheel spacer/adapter combos are notoriously flimsy and not made of the best materials (aerospace grade aluminum, or some similar high-strength alloy). If you go with them, look for H&Rs. The spacers are TUV certified for sure, but I don't think the adapters are.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts