Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've made a new friend in my Tech school - he manages and runs a Body shop in New Jersey - and I have made a deal with him. The deal was that I help him find and get an old Turbo RWD Japaneese car - well - I found him a Chrysler Conquest TSI (same as the Mitsubishi Starion) for $600 local - perfect for what he wants. His end of the deal was he'd both hook me up with free body work/paint work and cheap costing work. So what I may have him do is custom fab me a dual vent badgeless hood - fix my dents and holes - then paint the entire car. Now - my biggest question is - do I keep is stock (black) or pick a new color? I was thinking Viggen blue - since it's such a NICE color - and not to used/overplayed. I was considering a Grey/Steel color - but that's far too common. The off-white/pearl I think looks better on a pre-face lift car - so I was curious as to what you all think would look good on an 89 SPG - note: I can get the body kit painted too. This guy is really nice, and really honest (and does some really sick work) He's also my source to a new Junk Yard (I have directions to a yard with well over 50 Turbo cars :twisted: :lol: ) So - yeah - opinions on the SPG color?

(Jeff Proposki Viggen Blue c900)

I dunno if I like the kit paint matched or not tho.... but this is my chance to have the kit installed properly - and the silly rubber molding on mine removed and all those damn holes filled. I have my foot in the door - next step is WHAT I want done exactly so i can get a estimate of what this wil cost me - cause I know it's not gonna all be free.

Also - anyone who HAS a 1999 Saab Viggen - please send me your paint code so I may get it exactly right - thanks!

STOCK RE-PAINT look (with tinted tails and wide rims)

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
well i have a suggestion, that little chrome strip on the bumpers? have em take that out and fill the little groove that is left and then paint the bumpers. oh and my color suggestion: monte carlo yellow with anthracite (stock color) bumpers. think ive seen one before, looked nice.

Paul

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
as much as I love the Monte Carlo yellow - that's almost too rare of a car to mimmic - I dunno if I could, but then again the Yellow does compliment the SPG kit and bumpers well - I like your bumper filler idea tho - I thought about keeping it stock black, but I have a black car now - it's too much work to keep dent free and scratch free (everything shows) and I don' have a garage. I'm looking for something to set me out from all the others - and the yellow thought I will consider. Problem with that - it's a bright color - seen easily - from afar :shock: :roll: ya get where I'm going with that :wink:

Monte Carlo Yellow SPG:

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
BurnsSide42 said:
as much as I love the Monte Carlo yellow - that's almost too rare of a car to mimmic - I dunno if I could, but then again the Yellow does compliment the SPG kit and bumpers well - I like your bumper filler idea tho - I thought about keeping it stock black, but I have a black car now - it's too much work to keep dent free and scratch free (everything shows) and I don' have a garage. I'm looking for something to set me out from all the others - and the yellow thought I will consider. Problem with that - it's a bright color - seen easily - from afar :shock: :roll: ya get where I'm going with that :wink:

Monte Carlo Yellow SPG:
yup, thats the exact reason it got crossed off my list :wink: . but if i wasnt worried about getting undue attention from the authorities then that would be the color for sure.

as for the bumpers, i gotta stop telling people about that one, i thought of that a while ago and everyone that i tell it to says theyre gonna do it :? gonna lose the uniqueness of the idea :lol: . basically what ive noticed about the c900's is this: the more shit you eliminate from the car (like trim and such) the better it looks, its just such a smooth body that when you have all these lines running down the car it kinda ruins it. might wanna think about shaved doors and maybe removing that little rain gutter above the doors.

Paul

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
and if I do steal your idea of shaving off the rain gutter and filling the bumpers - how would I get in the car if I shaved the door handles? I don't like trusting technology here too much - I'll never own a car with throttle by wire, steer by wire (right now it's some funk electric shit) but doors which magically "pop" open - I dunno - batteries die....

Not serious about doing it at all to a Saab - but he said for $200 he could give me Lambo doors if I wanted those - the kits are $200 (not what every other place charges in the excess of $2,000+) It was funny to picture a c900 with Lambo doors - then I thought - hmm, a 4 door 9000 with 4 Lambo doors (started laughing it up pretty good) But yeah - this guy seems to do a lot of stuff - so I can see how good he really is. 8)

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
well i dunno if id go for the lambo doors, id imagine the wieght of the c900 doors might cause a problem with that, and besides that could comprimise safety, and make it a pain in the ass to get in and out of the car.

as for the shaved doors, you can get kits that pop the doors with a remote control, and then have a mechanical backup, i wouldnt consider it unless you could do it with a dead battery like you said cause that would really suck. But really these kits have advanced quite a bit, the hot rod folks have been doing it for quite a while now. And you could always climb in thru the hatch :lol: .

oh thats another place to get some inspiration, check out some old school street rods, lots of that stuff is really neat and could easily be adapted to a c900.

Paul

·
7,595 Posts
shaving off rain gutters- too much work, and it would end up looking weird I'll bet. they do serve a function too. In my moms vert (no rain gutters) when you open the door when it's raining the water just pours into the car... not too nice. shaved door handles? not you... and what happens when the battery dies, can't even get IN the car. no thanks. I would second the comment that it would be a nice idea to fill the chrome strip in and paint it. you have to do that exactly right though, or the chance is there that it will look weird when it's done. I think if that's done right, it WILL look good.

my picks for color is--

Pearl White (pimp, and a real 1984 saab color)
Silver (easy to care for, does not show imperfections always looks clean)
Black (keeps the originality factor)
Beryl Green (very few SPG's came in this color, looks nice)
Talladega Red (same as last one, not as nice looking as the green though)

the colors I would NOT pick
the color mine is cause they are ALL that color
Viggen blue, eh, it's a C-900 not a viggen.
any shade of yellow, it's a saab, not a miata!

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DeLorean said:
my picks for color is--

Pearl White (pimp, and a real 1984 saab color)
Silver (easy to care for, does not show imperfections always looks clean)
Black (keeps the originality factor)
Beryl Green (very few SPG's came in this color, looks nice)
Talladega Red (same as last one, not as nice looking as the green though)
Pearl White
NO

Silver
Still to common - but an option - could get metalic flakes in it to spice it up.

Beryl Green

(Jeff's SPG as seen on: http://www.twinsaabs.com/)
I actually was thinking about that color - it is a rather nice change, and looks good when the Kit is coated nice.

Talladega Red

Not a c900 - cause I don't have access to any TSN sites - so that'll hafta do I guess.
It's a nice color - but far to flashy for me - makes me think Ferrari - and Red cars draw too much attention like the Yellow would

In turn - I may either go with Black, Viggen Blue, or the Beryl Green as of now - still plenty of time before I get to that point tho - first I gotta get the motor assembled, finish builing the trans next week - get the old motor out, the new in - inspect and insure the car - get the body work done, and save money for paint :shock: :p But I'd rather know what I plan to do - see if I like it - give time to process it all - then finalize if it IS infact what I want - then do it.

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
ehhh like delorean said the viggen blue is nice on viggens, but like the red or the yellow, lots of attention, and im getting tired of it personally :oops: .

I like the silver idea, forgot about that one, and not rose quartz that color sucks, they actually made a metallic silver, looks really good with an spg kit, there was one at carlisle, cant remeber whos it was.

What about some color change paint :p then get some spinnaz on that biaatch and maybe some air suspension :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Paul

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PaulH said:
What about some color change paint :p then get some spinnaz on that biaatch and maybe some air suspension :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .
don't joke about that - I can show you pictures of just that (minus the spinner and air suspension)

GAG! :roll: :shock:

I will inquire about silver options - look into a few as well and the Beryl Green too.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
that paint is like 700 bucks a pint, really expensive, and god it looks like shit on that convert, maybe if it were a hard top, and didn't have queer rims

any color than the ordinary, pink, purple, green, orange, yellow, bright red, blue, whatever

~justin

·
7,595 Posts
I have never seen a car with that paint that looked good.

for some reason the dealers in philly like to paint theit mini vans that color :roll: a bit odd if you ask me. you need to pick this color by the time you pull the engine, becase that is the time to paint the engine room. If you keep it black though, you really don't have to do anything.

·
Administrator
668 Posts
OH shit thats HOT!!!! I must repaint the viggen with that ASAP.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DeLorean said:
you need to pick this color by the time you pull the engine, becase that is the time to paint the engine room. If you keep it black though, you really don't have to do anything.
and how do I ge the car into New Jersey with no motor?? Do you have a dolly and a vehicle to tow with? I'd do it - but it seems like it'd be a little tough... :roll:

·
7,595 Posts
haha, no the engine compartment does not have to be perfect. just use a spray can of the color you are going with.

god damn it!! I'm sick :evil: need some hot tea

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
saabvos said:
don't even think about giving your sickness to me at saabtoberfest :evil: :wink: :lol: :evil:
hey if youre going to saabtoberfest, gimme a call/pm/email/im (i think that covers it :lol: ) me and my dad will be heading out early tomorrow morning, we should meet up and caravan down there.

Paul

1 - 20 of 23 Posts