Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to make a carbon fiber plug cover over the weekend, this is the first and largest CF part i have made aside frome some small rc heli parts.
it was pretty easy to make, the hardest part of the whole thing is getting the weave straight. the next part i am going to make is a CF filter box for a K&N panel filter from a duramax it will be interesting.

·
Registered
5,988 Posts
Hey that looks pretty good.

A long time ago (4-5 years) there was a guy selling CF parts like this. He had quite a bit of interest, so you may consider making a small batch.

How do you think this will last with the high temps of the location of that cover?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the support. it should be fine with the underhood temps i cured the part in a oven at 300 degrees for 2 days and the ceramic clear coat is rated upwards of 500 degrees. i just hope the 2:1 epoxy mixture was correct. I thought about starting a small business doing CF parts with my dad when i move back to texas later this summer, but i havent found too much interest in anything besides fenders,hoods,and trunks and i would rather not get into the larger or structural items which would require vac bagging. although in texas i will have access to a full machine shop with cnc,laser cutter,wleding etc

if there is interest in parts from folks on here let me know and i will see what i can do for you. it may take me a little while to make any parts considering i am a student and i work and part complexity.

·
Registered
531 Posts
That looks trick with the valve cover. Nice work! I'm interested in some small parts for my NG if you're interested in doing the work...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
finally got around to fitting the air filter now that its in the 50's. it diddnt fit like i wanted it to but i got it in there.

i think it kind of looks like shit! oh well though its better than the crappy cone filter i had.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.