Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i change the oil on my 2002 9-3, the oil was ugly is it possible to relocate the cat away from the oil pan, i just thought of this idea in 5 minutes, and was wondering if its possible, or not.

the idea i thought was a straight pipe from the down pipe inplace of the cat, then relocate it close to the middle on the exhaust by the center of the 2 doors. idk the cat has exhaust hangers, so i had to ask here, will there be low exhaust hang?

get back at me guys

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Sure it is physically possible, but the CAT may not operate properly. Catalytic converters need to operate at a certain temperature to function properly. The faster they reach this temperature, the better. Moving the cat farther downstream of the engine will delay the Cats warm up or may prevent it from reaching its proper temperature all together.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
sure it is physically possible, but the cat may not operate properly. Catalytic converters need to operate at a certain temperature to function properly. The faster they reach this temperature, the better. Moving the cat farther downstream of the engine will delay the cats warm up or may prevent it from reaching its proper temperature all together.
just remove the cat and t7 suite it.
+1

·
Registered
352 Posts
As a liscensed state inspector . . .I cannot condone this behavior.:rolleyes:

Just get a Genuine Saab V2 DP and love life.

My 9000 didn't have a cat (1993) and it ran so well that it was actually cleaner than my 2.5L Jeep with a new cat. So thats that. .. .

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As a liscensed state inspector . . .I cannot condone this behavior.:rolleyes:

Just get a Genuine Saab V2 DP and love life.

My 9000 didn't have a cat (1993) and it ran so well that it was actually cleaner than my 2.5L Jeep with a new cat. So thats that. .. .
only thing im worried about is, in pa we need cats for inspection kinda sucks, but i ran my 2.8 audi with straight pipes.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
The cat being next to the oil pan is not the main reason why these cars get sludged, it's just one of many. Look at how many people have the cat in the stock position and do not have sludge. Leave the cat where it is, get pcv6, run auto rx, pull the valve cover and inspect, blah....

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Why not just change your oil more often or use full synthetic? Also note - turbo cars blacken oil faster and more often then a non-turbo. The turbo heats it up - doesn't mean it's "bad" but the color will change. 3,000 on standard oil and 3-5,000 on full synthetic if my pattern.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Ignore my last outburst of hating on cats. Do what chevyman said if you want to bypass inspection, here in NY if it goes on the computer and passes, your good to go. With T7 Suite you could convince the computer your car has a cat.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why not just change your oil more often or use full synthetic? Also note - turbo cars blacken oil faster and more often then a non-turbo. The turbo heats it up - doesn't mean it's "bad" but the color will change. 3,000 on standard oil and 3-5,000 on full synthetic if my pattern.
first saab, second turbo car, i change it at 2,500 miles, previous owner prolly lied about recent oil change.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The cat being next to the oil pan is not the main reason why these cars get sludged, it's just one of many. Look at how many people have the cat in the stock position and do not have sludge. Leave the cat where it is, get pcv6, run auto rx, pull the valve cover and inspect, blah....
saab dealer said, when i went in for recalls, that the oil pump screen could get clogged, and watch for engine noise, or ill have to pull the pan down.

idk knock on wood, didnt happen to me yet.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
In nh all cars need to have a cat so what I did was take the heat shields from a 3in cat (my exhaust size) and weld them over the pipe where the cat should be and passed the inspection without a problem. Of course my car is a 95 so I dont to be hooked up to a sniffer

1 - 17 of 17 Posts