Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for those of you who wanted to see....here are the pics to my carputer, finally

this is the first generation
it is a double din size

next gen to come sometime between january and march
computer will be single din with foldout screen so it's a cleaner install

it's also possible to use cheaper components and mount computer in trunk with screen inside front dash

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
for all to know
1 GHz processor
133 MHz bus
512MB of RAM
20GB laptop hard drive
DVD/CDRW combo drive

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
saabvos said:
for all to know
1 GHz processor
133 MHz bus
512MB of RAM
20GB laptop hard drive
DVD/CDRW combo drive
IS there any larger/faster processors out there for either set up?
and same for the Mhz
I plan to do almost 1 gig ram
and atleast 60gigs HD
DVD/CD/RW Combo would work too -

I like that mini board - may hafta do that - price was very fair.

Should be about 2 months before funds are available for this - and once i have it built - who wants to install it??? Or show me how - I'm not an electrical person yet - haven't had those class's yet :p

·
Registered
745 Posts
NIce work.....looks like something I need in my line of work........looks to have unlimited potential. I could see a few connectors placed obscurely out of view....for my cell phone hookup to give me internet access..., gps information, dvd on wheels....Shock absorbing would probably perfect it..like in a CD player, but still way more functional.

Let me know when you ready for orders.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
so did yuo do any sort of radio tuner in it or is it just mp3's and cd's now? i think i would miss the radio after awhile but that sjust me...also...does it do those virtual gauges like you said it would? cuz thats what im really interested in

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, here's the deal....DC, i'm ready for orders anytime, PM me and we can work together on building you a system to fit what you're looking for...the cost comes partially in parts but mostly in the custom fabrication of everything so it's a plug and play unit

saabkid, this only has mp3's as of now, i couldn't fit a radio into a unit that size....for me, radio isn't that big of a deal....i've haven't heard radio chat in over 8 months now
future plans include building a radio to listen to a whole host of frequencies but perfecting the carputer is taking priority now

yes, it can do car stats, as with obd 2 to pull information about your car, there is also hw and sw to do the same thing for cars without obd 2
in my experience and from people i have talked to, virtual gauges are not entirely accurate b/c in some cases, the gauges may be polling so you will only get information every ~0.5 seconds, info like that is good for an general view but for tuning, streaming data would be better

burnsside, with faster processors, the board may end up being a larger size....

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea, that seems to the theme with all things cool :(
but that's just for an all in dash system or small unit, you can always take your desktop and throw that in the trunk, it'll do the same thing :wink:

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
in a matte on months - 2-4 I will have this begin building - as long as I have some progress on the SPG being made - I will have one in my SPG - cause eventually I do not wanna have a reason to leave my car :lol: Details Alex on the navigation aspec - how has that worked for you?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
gps navigation in the works, i have an older radio shack digistar (no longer sold for pc, thank you very much radio shack )working with delorme street atlas 2003, even has voice support for certain commands....i need to build myself a microphone to use that which i plan on hiding in the a-pillar

that unit works well

i'm told there is now a mauser (not spelled right i think) gps unit which is smaller and works better, pics up next week of the radio shack digistar when i use the gf's digicam again

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
looking at 1500 to 2000$ for this baby, includes gps, screen and all components for a computer including sw........i'd rather be on the high end of prices then fall short
the cost comes mostly from custom fabrication of the pieces to fit into your car so it's a plug and play system
PM me if you're interested so I can begin working on your custom system (damn that sounds so cheesy) but for real, each carputer is a custom fit of the requirements of the computer and the space to fit the components in

·
Registered
5 Posts
VDO screen mount

I'm not really sure if this would be of any worth to you, but I'd been looking at buying the VDO MS3100 system made for European 900/9-3s that fits in where the ashtray and cubby (eck I hate that word) is in the lower dash, and, while I'm not sure, I think VDO makes a modular screen that could fit into that mount. I'm assuming it's pretty suave looking (should look factory, Saab part number and everything). GenuineSaab.com quoted $56 for the piece (part number 40/400129342). Thought this might help

·
Registered
5 Posts
sorry--I meant the Saab-specific MOUNT for the system. It should make the whole setup very clean and factory-looking like, but $1500 for a black and white system? That's pretty obscene. I know VDO makes quite a bit of modular stuff--do you know if they make any other system that would fit in there besides the MS3100?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i'm not aware of other products by vdo but as far as having capabilities like gps, link to obd2, music and video as well as a radio if it can fit, i've found my computer to work very well

1 - 18 of 18 Posts