Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have a carbonfiber og9-3 hood they want to get rid of?? i would like to get rid of my lightly chipped hood on my viggen for a lighter and cleaner cf on.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
cf hoods havent really materialized the way some of us have wanted them to. good luck finding somebody to make you one as the ones promised out of texas never came about and (Kevin) YanktonTuned hoods are no longer made.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HAa that's what I was expecting cuz I had only known of one person making them (no longer in production) so I figured I would ask....well does anyone have a hood in any color and atleast in decent condition....cheep?

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
What colors do you have grkguy?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I would recommend that those Saab owners wanting carbon fiber hoods opt for a carbon fiber wrap. It would most likely be much much cheaper than finding a pre-existing cf hood OR paying someone to make one. One of the forum members has a for sale thread regarding vinyl wraps. I would PM him and ask for more details if anyone is interested. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I was analyzing it with a cost vs. benefit mindset. You might find better value/benefit at lower costs through further mods, lighter wheels, etc. If CF hoods for our cars weren't so damn rare, I'd say pull the trigger and do it. But since they're so rare, you have to consider all options.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Pretty sure that there are less than 10 CF hoods for the NG900/OG9-3 state side.

Performance benefits do not at all justify the cost of one. If you're looking for visuals then just get the 3M vinyl and cover your current one.

·
Greek Mod
4,294,967,295 Posts
the hoods not that heavy anyways, i uderstand the "looks" of CF hood but not worth all the hassle of making one for our cars. just my 2cents
not that heavy?
a cf hood usually weighs less than 25lbs

our hoods are much heavier that that

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
+1 I took my cf one off my m3 and I was holding it with one hand above my head with ease. I'm not so sure I can do that with my stock one..well looks like plan b I'm just gunna w8 and get my stock on sprayed or find another ugly color one and do what I want to that one

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
A composite hood should weigh much less than 25lbs....

8)
Yes a true prepreg full carbon hood should be quite light but the tooling for that is not so cheap.

Not at the price point the saab market brings. There have been how many people over the years try and bring them to market? Only to sell single digits and have people complain about the quality. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.