Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my new dilemma.
My car was sitting for a day or two in a blizzard I just had, so I went to start it up this morning and it started fine, ran it for about 10-15 mins then when I come back it's off :confused:
So I tried to start it again and it tries to start but nothing. So I tried it once more and it turned on. And I just tried it again a few minutes ago and nothing, won't even go on the 2nd or 3rd, etc etc try. I had my hood up and when ever I tried to start it, there was an odor that smelled like chemicaly or something, I know it smelled nasty though.

Can't be the battery because it's about a year old and it's not the clicking sound when you have a dead battery.
Isn't the starter motor because it wouldn't have started that 2nd time.
I have no clue what it is and I hope it's nothing serious.

Would anyone happen to know what some culprits may be? Water Pump? Fuel Pump? Spark Plugs? :confused:

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
So what is the current status? The car is cranking but not firing, or the car is not cranking?

If the car is cranking, its not a battery, unless it is cranking very slowly.

If it's not cranking, and you cranked it a bunch of times, you could have killed your starter motor, and that could cause a smell.

Do you hear your fuel pump (located under the back seat) run for a few seconds when you turn the key to ON (but not START)?

Also, what car, what year, what engine and what transmission?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So what is the current status? The car is cranking but not firing, or the car is not cranking?

If the car is cranking, its not a battery, unless it is cranking very slowly.

If it's not cranking, and you cranked it a bunch of times, you could have killed your starter motor, and that could cause a smell.

Do you hear your fuel pump (located under the back seat) run for a few seconds when you turn the key to ON (but not START)?

Also, what car, what year, what engine and what transmission?
It cranks but doesn't start. I wasn't listening but i'll go try it now. '99 9-3 2.0 auto. Ha ha full tank!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Agreed, likely a fuel pump. As a very temporary and last resort, you can try beating on the fuel pump (gas tank) with a rubber mallet, both from below (under the car) and above (under the rear seat).

Maybe some of the resident 9-3 experts will have another suggestion as to other, non- fuel pump issues. Do try to hear if the pump is running. It should quietly whine for a few seconds.

Fuel pumps tend to fail when cars are buried in snow or otherwise inaccessible, and always with a full tank - just to make everything harder!!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
if it smelled chemically maybe your DIC died? The boots fry and smell awful. toss a spare DIC in?

btw how much did you guys get up there? We got 29ish inches in the city. Ironically enough my car was burried under all the snow and started up better than it usually does in the cold.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
if it smelled chemically maybe your DIC died? The boots fry and smell awful. toss a spare DIC in?

btw how much did you guys get up there? We got 29ish inches in the city. Ironically enough my car was burried under all the snow and started up better than it usually does in the cold.
It only smelled weird when it cranked so I'm not sure. Wouldn't it just continually smell bad? And would it cause the car to just randomly turn off after 15 mins?

I don't really know actually lol, with all the wind and snow drifts it's not all even so some spots you can see ground then others it's a foot plus. They said we were suppose to get 2 feet but I don't think that is 2 feet :shock:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I tried to listen for the fuel pump again and could hear a faint whine, so I'm guessing it's working. Took out my DIC to see if I can find anything wrong with it and one of the nozzle tips was black (other 3 were white) and smelt like the scent I kept smelling when I tried to turn the car on. Attached are links to the pics, if anyone can confirm please do.

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv154/845saab/DSC06332.jpg

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv154/845saab/DSC06337.jpg

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv154/845saab/DSC06333.jpg

·
Super Moderator
6,730 Posts
I personally have never had a DI die without giving a code or two first. At this point the only way to check it would be to have a friend swap with you for testing.

Charge your battery up so you get healthy cranks too.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I personally have never had a DI die without giving a code or two first. At this point the only way to check it would be to have a friend swap with you for testing.

Charge your battery up so you get healthy cranks too.
I'll agree, after I thought it was my DIC this whole time. I had a blown starter pin in my NA when I bought it. It would start 90% of the time, but would randomly stall. After shaking the shifter violently between 3rd and 4th while cranking, it would start. Replaced the starter and havn't had a problem since.

Shady, after this upcoming blizzard we can meet up and you can use one of my spare DI's to see if it's that. Just let me know.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Actually I did have some codes relating to the DIC a while back but they would always come on for a while then go off and it would keep doing that but then after awhile it stayed off. While I was attempting to listen to the fuel pump yesterday my check engine light was on so maybe it came back.

I might get a spare one for cheap but if I don't i'll let you know and try yours.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts