Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I go so start the car after the head gasket job and even with mashing the pedal to the floor it wouldn't start. It started but struggled to stay running with me flooring it. I thought I flooded it so I pulled out the plugs and turns out 2 of the floor plugs had cracked insulators. I think either the timing is a few degrees off or because the cracked plugs it won't start. Also when I pulled the #4 cylinder plug a little smoke came out.

Help tomorrow is my deadline to get this running.

·
Registered
836 Posts
i actullay just was doing work with timing and now my car wont start when its warm unless i give it gas so im kinda in the same boat as u

·
Registered
9,197 Posts
Double check your MAP sensor as T5 will start but run like shit barely if something is screwy with the MAP sensor.

Also to check timing line up the marks on the timing cover with the crank pulley, something down there in that region is marked to match, and then pull off the valve cover and make sure the cams match on there marks.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
when i put my motor back together...

a. i never plugged the map sensor back in
and
b. my cam timing was off maybe 1 degree and it wouldnt even idle.

there a are dashes on the sprocket ends of the cams make sure they line up.

·
Registered
9,197 Posts
But just because his cam's are positioned correctly doesn't mean that his crank was positioned correctly. Thats why I suggested to check all three.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Double check that timing. I like to turn the motor over by hand with somebody watching and see those marks line up two or three times, then I can be sure I got it right.

Tboy

·
Registered
9,197 Posts
My guess, remove valve cover, unbolt chain tensioner, relieve tension on serpentine belt. Line up marks on crank pulley and block, check cams, pull up slack in chain to clear sprocket teeth on cam and adjust cam to match timing mark. Reassemble and start up.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
the crank mark is useless, mine was off 4 degrees.

you have to visually make sure cylinder 1 is at tdc (obviously tough due to the dwell) unless you have a deck bridge and feeler gauge.

so once #1 is at tdc, put the head on with no chain, and make sure both hash marks on the cams are aligned then put on chain.

·
Registered
9,197 Posts
That doesn't help you with making sure the trigger wheel mounted to the crank for the CPS is in the correct spot though.......................or does that not matter?

·
Registered
9,197 Posts
Yes a trigger wheel has a reference point. Thats why it has a gap spot that is missing one section. Though with how trionic figures out TDC you could be right that it may not matter however I'd prefer to here about this subject from Nick himself.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
That doesn't help you with making sure the trigger wheel mounted to the crank for the CPS is in the correct spot though.......................or does that not matter?
Trigger wheel is bolted to the crank, if you have the crank in the right place, the trigger wheel is too. Not something you should even think about when doing a head gasket.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts