Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finishing off my Car PC this weekend. I got the in dash VGA touchscreen made from my Xenarc 700 monitor and it'll be here tommorow. Formally it was mounted on top the dash above the radio, but this way it will fold in so as not to attract hoodlums looking to rip it off :lol: . Armen at DigitalWW has about a 2 week wait on these but they are very worth it if your doing something like this. www.digitalww.com

The PC is a micro ATX, Pentium Celeron 2ghz (cheper and cooler to get a celeron), with 1gb ram, and 200gb hard drive (80, 80, and 40 gigs, along with a DVD-rom), and an ATI all in wonder 9800 with TV tuner and RF remote (and custom TV antennae made from a scanner antennae). My last one was a Epia mini itx and it sucked - always resetting or not turning on and when it worked it was slow and hard to deal with. It was allot tinier though and would fit in the glove compartment easy. This one will go in the trunk and is about 1 square foot, but the upside is it is allot faster, more stable, I got a new 300watt DC-DC power supply, and this case has pretty blue lights - an Antec Aria case ( url]http://www.antec-inc.com/us/pro_details_enclosure.php?ProdID=15130[/url]). The software - it runs Windows XP...picutres and information soon this weekend!!

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Thats going to be quite impressive. Can't wait to see some pics.

Question though...why have an RF remote if you plan to use touchscreen?

Also how does that XP Tablet edition work...i've never seen it.

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
yeah ive been wanting to do this for a while now in my car but havent gotten around to it, mostly cause of a constant lack of funds :roll: .

oddly enough my setup was gonna be near identical to yours, i even had that same site bookmarked to get a touchscreen from :shock: . i guess great minds think alike :lol: .

Paul

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ehh - the remote came with the video card ;). It's quite huge as well, but I keep it in the passenger side back seat in case someone who can't reach the screen would want to navigate it.

It only cost me $200 for the PC, ram, and hard drive (for the original EPIA pc anyway - the micro atx cost me $400), $200 for the VGA monitor, (not including casing, he charges $150 to do casing or $450 for a pre made one). Not too bad considering all the stuff you get. Thsi is my first car so I've been saving for this for quite some time ^^. Almost out of the funds though cuz' I'm going for a Powerchip ECU ugprade this week as well maybe.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, Tablet OS is just Windows XP with a special handwriting recognition thing (not gunna work on the touchscreen unless I use a stylus) and an enhanced keyboard on screen and some other improvements like holding down the cursor (touch on the screen) in place for 3 seconds makes it right click, to make up for the lack of mouse buttons. Not much really but tiny improvements. It does more if you use a pen and special tablet screen (witth a touchscreen it jsut htinks your moving the mouse pointer around.

You need to find the All Windows DVD's on bittorrent (google it) or usenet to install the tablet OS, or you could pay microsoft thousands and get a developers license to use it :wink: .

·
Registered
352 Posts
cool,
i'm doing the same thing to my saab, i'm using the mini-itx board...the only thing holding me back is the lilliput screen i'm using, it's vga input is shot...have to figure out what's wrong with it....i'm also putting mine where my radio is, if you're coming to paul's meet tomorrow, check it out.

saabvos

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I found out something unfortunate - having a 'double din' radio opening is not the equivelant of bing able ot fit in 2 full size din radios ><. My monitor didn't fit in on top the radio, so I had to massacre my dash inside, and I got obth to fit, but the saab information panel (trip computer and clock) no longer fits. I'm trimming down the plastic casing ofr it and it should be done tommorow. I would have put the radio in the trunk or something but then there's no easy way to control volume (especially with the iPod).

The monitor hits the windshield wiper switch on the way in/out too. And it is hard as h3ll to get in and out of it's casing. Anyone thinking of getting one from digitalww.com - don't. It looks awesome, but it's not going back in to it's casing very easily, because there are wires everywhere in the monitor casing, and when it folds down to go in, the wires get in the way. But it looks awesome fully extended ;) (so I guess it'll just stay that way) and is better than having wires everywhere outside.

Also - my DC to DC power supply is screwing up. The IPTS modiule which regulates the 12v to the PC and also turns it on/off with the car can only handle 80 watts, and the DC power uspply is 200 watts, so with the IPTS I only get 80 watts from it. They didn't tell me this until I bought it from them of course. So it won't boot 29/30 times.

I'm going to go ahead and try the EPIA 1000 board again tommorow and see if I can get it running better (last time it kept giving me problems powering the hard drive up during boot - sometimes it owuld jsut cut power to the hard drive during use too). I thnk these DC-DC power uspplies are causing all th problems and seem like junk. Made by a company caleld ituner (they also make the IPTS). If anyone has an alternative let me know. The P4 board needs at _least_ 200 watts, do the opus 150watt won't work, and for the EPIA board, th opus 150watt is more expensive than the whole PC cost me, so that doesn't make sense...

I'm thinking of rigging up the IPTS so it just turn the PC on and off, and powering the PC through an AC power supply and 400 watt AC-DC inverter. But only if all else fails... more later when I get itme to work on it. School starts again in a few weeks so I'll have even less time to fix it if it's not done by then.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Why?

Is the PC for diagnostics? Is it for video games?

What purpose would this serve? (This isn't to sound snotty or like an asshole, I'm genuinely curious and don't understand.) I'm not a technophobe; I'm a systems editor at a newspaper, the equivalent of a sys admin in an IT environment, and I'm around machines all day.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
mike saunders said:
Why?

Is the PC for diagnostics? Is it for video games?

What purpose would this serve? (This isn't to sound snotty or like an asshole, I'm genuinely curious and don't understand.) I'm not a technophobe; I'm a systems editor at a newspaper, the equivalent of a sys admin in an IT environment, and I'm around machines all day.
Having a Car PC can be used for anything under the sun. Here's a list:

-Mp3's
-Music Videos
-DVDs
-Internet (Wireless)
-SatNav
-TV
-Engine Management/Diagnostic
-Gaming

The possibilites are endless. With the correct software you can achieve anything.

·
Registered
90 Posts
i dont know why you got a whole computer embedded in your car??

what i have in my car is a flip out lcd touchscreen, with a vga cord hooked up to a Dell X5 pocket pc mounted on the dash... the cord just relys every think from teh pocket screen right on the lcd monitor.

i have microsoft media player for all music and videos.. and bluetooth wireles internet..

didnt have to do any customization or ripping the interior apart..

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SMPUCK02 said:
i dont know why you got a whole computer embedded in your car??

what i have in my car is a flip out lcd touchscreen, with a vga cord hooked up to a Dell X5 pocket pc mounted on the dash... the cord just relys every think from teh pocket screen right on the lcd monitor.

i have microsoft media player for all music and videos.. and bluetooth wireles internet..

didnt have to do any customization or ripping the interior apart..
I use it mostly for music videos and OBD 2 diagnostics. I did it for the h3ll of it - it has only cost me $400 so far including monitor (over the span of a year) and it's almost odne. I got hte monitor in the dash (had to trim the SID down a little) and it loks good, but the DC-DC computer power supply had to go back for warranty, so when it comes back (or if I buy a different brand) it'll be odne. I had it all runnign for a day though ^^.

I ended up having to use the EPIA 1000 board as the other one drew to muhc power for the IPTS (regulates 12v input) to handle, and it was pretty big in the trunk too. The current one fits nicely on top the sub - but I'm not sure how good for the hard drive that is :roll: . About 1x4x12 inches with hard drive and slim DVD-rom.

Anyway - it's mostly that I've always wanted to do it, it looks _really_ impressive, and if you don't have another GPS already it's awesome for getting around new places.

I use my Nokia cell and bluetooth to browse the net on the EDGE network (about DSL speeds, but if I leave the city it goes to GPRS which is about dialup speeds), and can look up adress' and stores. Pretty useful sometimes.

I did think about using a pocket pc, but I want it all to turn on/off with the car, and I need massive storage (160 gigs in there) for my videos, not to mention pocket pc's dont play everything you throw at em' perfect. I thought about using an Archos portable video player, but want everything touchscreen operated and again an Archos wouldn't go on/off with the car. This is definitly the best thing I've done for my car (and also the most work ^^).

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Im still waiting for pictures 8) Especially of the hardware your using so I know what to get. I've been wanting to do this for a long time now, and I need to know the best equipment to use.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I got my camera chareginbg properly now so tommorow is the day :). It's not running, but pictures of the setup. The in dash monitor is so-so - but definitly better than mounting one on the dash and runnign wires all over the place.

The EPIA board is the only solutiuon so far I can find, and the iTuner power supply and IPTS are risky, but they provide good support for htem, and the only alternative is a $150 150watt Opus power supply (ripoff).

Plus an EPIA 1000 board is allot cheaper than a P4 micro atx and a cekeron processor - $100 for the board, $50-100 for the memory, $50 for the power supply and IPTS, and $100-200 for the hard drive, and your all set (minus finding a monitor and housing).

Here are some more links:

http://store.mini-box.com/ituner/

http://www.via.com.tw/en/VInternet/carpc.jsp

http://www.mediaengine.org/

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I took em' but I dunno where my camera is now. I think I left it in the car. Unfortunately my back door latch broke so it's been garaged with the door stuck open for the last 2 days ><. I'll post the pictures as soon as I find that thing.

EDIT: Still can't find the camera, getting worried now...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Long story (very) short - I'm going to abandon this project. If anyone herewants them - I'm selling the in dash Xenarc VGA touchscreen on eBay along with the PC tonight (or whenever I find my camera). I did end up fixing the power supply :D. If anyone is interested in a good deal on any of this stuff PM me.

Oh well. I need the cash right now for other things, not to mention tires ($4-600), and a new rear door latch ($200+)... :roll: and the computer is taking up too much time ofr me now that I'm back in school for the year again. Maybe this summer I'll look into it again (or something similar). I might just put in a $50 dvd player and $100 monitor and be happy it looks cool ^_^.

I'll still post pictures of it when it was in when I find the camera :). Good luck to anyone going this route and let me know if you need any help ever.

·
Registered
352 Posts
sorry to hear that the car pc didn't work out for you...i'll def post when mine is complete....i need a digital camera :oops: :oops:

saabvos

1 - 16 of 16 Posts