Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
F1 started going down the pooper three or four years ago. This year, I've barely even watched the races any more.

Luckily sportscar racing seems to be as interesting as ever!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
F1 started going down the pooper three or four years ago. This year, I've barely even watched the races any more.
Yes, F1 under the watchful eye of head honcho and degenerate Bernie Ecclestone F1 has been on a downward slope.

Maclarengate and sex scandals do not further F1's cause. The races are still good and I really wanted to go see the 2009 CGP so I can cross spectating a F1 event of my list.

·
Registered
9,197 Posts
God damn it. I love F1 but hate how we're getting the shaft. The only thing left for them to get rid of is Brazil and they'll be completely out of the America's as far as F1 is concerned.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
In all honesty I prefer watching it on tv, with highlights and replays. Experience wise though, nothing compares to the sounds of those engines roaring, and the whole F1 ambiance. Been to many of them and stopped going a few years back. Still would hate to see it disappear in Montreal, when it comes around the city just lights up.

·
Registered
584 Posts
The races are still good
See, I'd even argue this very point. Without one or more clear superstars, all we've had recently is a fair number of "pretty good" drivers, which, IMHO, doesn't cause the same extreme thrills from a talent perspective.

Also, with the regulation trend being towards even more standardization and evening-out of technology, there's less to get excited about on that front, too.

Granted, there are good drivers and good cars out there, and there is some interesting passing action, etc. - but there isn't anything to take your breath away any more. No stratospheric record-busting "where the heck did that come from" performances.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^ Yes and No.

The lack of a supremely dominant team or driver has made for an interesting season, I personally like it.

It seems that anyone of 10 different driver could win any race, versus a few seasons ago when it felt like only three drivers had a shot at winning a race.

Plus, the end of last season was the first time in over a decade that championship was decided by the outcome of the last race which made for an exciting final race.

·
Registered
584 Posts
^ Yes and No.

The lack of a supremely dominant team or driver has made for an interesting season, I personally like it.

It seems that anyone of 10 different driver could win any race, versus a few seasons ago when it felt like only three drivers had a shot at winning a race.

Plus, the end of last season was the first time in over a decade that championship was decided by the outcome of the last race which made for an exciting final race.
I understand that argument and I understand that it's likely that a majority of fans feel that way, but personally still I feel compelled to compare excitement and talent in an absolute sense, not simply relative to the current playing field. I'd rather watch 3 super awesome drivers/teams, vs. 8 "good" drivers/teams.

I see F1 as the most "absolute" form of motorsports, where the goal is (or should be) ultimate speed, with few restrictions. From that standpoint, I'd rather watch one stellar driver lay down a record lap during qualifying than watch 8 good drivers duke it out and pass eachother. I don't get the public's obsession with passing. If I want passing, I'll watch NASCAR or sportscar racing. Let's leave the F1 teams to ultimate speed, rather than burden them with regulations designed to encourage passing.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
2007 was a great F1 season. The championship came down to the last race for 3 drivers. 2008 is has been good too.
It sux Canada got dropped. I wanted to go next year or 2010. If Canada still allowed tobacco adds, it would still be on. 300,000 attendance in a weekend, gona be a lot of lost business for the city. It's also a very good track. This blows.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
i'm so upset. i went there in 2006. i missed this year's race and wanted to go there in 2009. well, seems like i will make a trip to germany next year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts