Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm cooling my heels on the engine swap project for a few weeks, so I'm looking for something relatively easy to do. Can I increase the diameter of the opening to allow more air to flow into the intake manifold?

Can I etch a spiral pattern to swirl the air before it mixes with the fuel, which should increase the speed of the mix into the head???

all thoughts are welcome...

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have seen bored out TB's for many of the cars I used to play with, i've found that simply boring out the TB doesn't make a huge difference unless you increase the size of the path all the way through, and regarding the sprial air concept... the idea seems great... there was a company out there that made something like this, I think it was called tornado air or something like that, they claimed it added 10HP, but I have yet to see one actually have any increase on power. I would think the concept would be to create somewhat of a vortex in the air in the TB, but I sincerely doubt creating a swirl pattern in the TB walls would generate enough of a vortex to actually create a substantial increase in air flow.
I am pretty new to saabs specifically, but if you were to bore out the TB, wouldn' you also want to increase the size of your injectors in order to get more performance, i believe that was the conclusion I came to working on other cars.

·
Registered
584 Posts
IMHO any swirling introduced at the TB would be completely lost by the time the airflow reached the head. Intake manifolds are very, very turbulent places. If anything, I'd be worried that the swirling action would create an uneven distribution of air within the manifold.

VW changed the head design of their ABA crossflow 8v 2.0 litre motor a few years after introducing it. One of the big changes was an offcenter "bulge" shape in the intake ports - it was designed to swirl the air as it flowed past the injector port. Not to add power, but to ensure a more even air/fuel mix and slightly better fuel economy.

·
Registered
546 Posts
There will not be any measurable gains by boring out the throttle body. The TB diameter is 2.5" but the intercooler and intake pipes are only 2.0".

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
01 cars are all T7 Engine management with electronic Throttle. You cannot modify them without seriously confusing Trionic. Plus since the throttle is a wear item and serviced as a complete Assy if it ever failed the changes would be lost.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies!

I've pretty much given up on the swirled port idea for some of the reasons you guys cited above, and was also advised that any increase in intake air velocity would be extremely small and probably wouldn't provide any measurable HP increase. Increasing the air mass is probably the better way to handle it, so I'll be interested to see what Yankton does with his 3'' intake on the 97 Talladega...

So...In the project that seems to be lasting longer than the Hundred Year War, I'm putting an '01 SET engine into a '97 body. I'm keeping the 97 intake (for now), the mechanical throttle and the T-5 ECU...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts