Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, I want to know some quarter mile numbers from anyone who has run their NG900 turbo. If your kind enough to reply to my request please let me know first, what kind of turbo you were or are running and secondly how many pounds of boost you were running. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Here's my slip. Running SQR ECU stage 3.5 with viggen turbo and 20 psi boost with a 25 psi spilke. See my website for more mod details.
Eric

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice time, actually my goal for the next year or so. I am a frequent visitor of your site. Thanks for replying!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
i was at the track the night before i lost my license, saab turbo there, all stock with little gas ran a 16.7 in the 1/4 whereas i ran a 16.8 :roll:

~justin

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Those are VERY good numbers. Slaab...what mods do you have to pull mid 13s because you hit 103mph?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Blaque_Out said:
Those are VERY good numbers. Slaab...what mods do you have to pull mid 13s because you hit 103mph?
Mods described at www.sounddomain.com/id/slaab

I am convinced that ERP has a stronger motor than mine given his mods and the difference in our results can be explained in the reaction time (r/t) stats which differ by about .8 sec. Assuming all things equal, finishing the quarter in 3rd gear, there are 2 shift points. If ERP was driving my car, it would be about 1.6sec slower or running in the 15s.

Other techniques for the 1/4 include:

brake torquing for boost
shallow staging
modulating traction with the clutch
running Nitto Drag Radials

My car is OK, but my kung fu is strong.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, broke into the thirteens huh? I'm impressed. What makes me happy about this is that you did it in a four door because i have a four door. Nice reaction time, props to you! Your were running a factory turbo as well huh?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Phil said:
Wow, broke into the thirteens huh? I'm impressed. What makes me happy about this is that you did it in a four door because i have a four door. Nice reaction time, props to you! Your were running a factory turbo as well huh?
No I have a three door with the Amish body kit. Pictures on the link in my prior post.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oops, my mistake i could of sworn it was a four door! I never clicked the exterior shots, i always go right to the engine pics. From a quick glance, because of the dark color, it looks like a four door. But whatever a 13.4 in my book is still impressive for a saab. People at the track must have been like, "a saab, running 13s, what the...!!" I can't wait to start putting down nice quarter mile times because that's all i heard, "a saab???" My best run was a 16.4. It was my first time running the car and on the way up from southern Mass to New Hampshire, my radiator fan stopped working so my car was just on the verge of overheating when i got up there. So to make a long story short, the car wasn't running too great.

·
Registered
729 Posts
This is my time slip. I had a couple of problems with my traction with this run. When i ran the other times i was getting 15.1's and 15.0's because i didn't get traction 1st and the begining of 2nd gear.

So for this run i went half throttle in 1st, because i was didn't want to spin ouf of control. then floored it in 2nd gear.

R/T - .940
60' - 2.395
1/8 - 9.594
MPH - 77.28
1/4 - 14.653
MPH - 97.70

·
Registered
729 Posts
yes i am, When i went to the track i had
cold air intake
15psi boost
JT turbo back exhaust
forge FMIC

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very nice. Next time I go to the track I'll hope to have numbers close to yours. By then I'll have the rest of my exhaust and viggen intercooler on and most likely be running at 15PSI. As of right now I've got the intake from taliaferro, Forge BOV and JT 3" Downpipe. I also have to factor in that my car is a four door. So we will see what happens.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Drag radials will definitely help one get into the 13's!

The best way to test the strength of a motor based on a timeslip is by averaging the accelleration of the last 1/8 mile when traciton is no longer an issue.

( trap speed - 1/8 mile speed) / (E.T. - 1/8 time)

Because that only gives you average acelleration in order to make it comparible with cars that have vastly different ET's you need to take into account the average speed.

So to take into account the average speed you: (Trap Speed + 1/8 speed) / 2

Then multiply that by the previous average accelleration.

ERP's average accelleration x speed was: 380 mph^2/sec

Slaab's was: 399 mph^2/second

Interestingly, though my car should run [email protected] or so at sea level, at 3,000 ft my stock Viggen ran [email protected] ... using my timeslip as reference. (I won't bother posting it again, it's been posted before I'm pretty sure. If not I'll dig it up. The 14.8 is based on the correction made by R&T. Also based off the fact that the car reaches 100 mph in about 14 seconds flat based on my video.)

The same technique applied to my car stock yields: 373 mph^2/sec

Since on the time slip it takes me over 15 seconds to reach 96 mph with a good launch at 3,000 ft altitude, and with a bad launch at sea level in 14.0 seconds it reaches the full 100 mph ... it's certainly reasonable to assume this would increase substantially at sea level.

Just making a point that horsepower wise (mph^2/sec is a direct relationship to horsepower with only weight as a remaining variable), you could have about as much as a 13 second car, and still be so limited by traction that you end up running 15's even with a good launch.

Course the Viggens are pretty severely limited, so even with traction, unless the limitations are removed your time won't improve much. Still I think I can coax her into the 14's completely stock at sea level. (Well technically 1,200 ft, which is the altitude of my 0-100 run, which was also at about 85 degrees.)

Ok I'm done. Just thought the above methods might make useful tools. They give you a good idea which car would win from a rolling start etc.

Adrian~

1 - 17 of 17 Posts