Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

After putting up with a noisy exhaust for a few weeks, I decided to replace it with an un-cracked C900T exhaust manifold. It took a while, being difficult yo find now, but I finally found one in good nick in Melbourne, and from a fellow Saab Club member to boot.

Under-bonnet temps used to be pretty high after a run (17psi) - to the point where even though the bonnet is insulated the matt black paint on it cracked like crazy. A common problem on the Enduros. I decided to polish the burrs of the port exits and then ceramic-coat it prior to installation. Competition Coatings in Guildford (Sydney) did the job for me using Tech Line ceramic out of the States. They sand-blast the manifold inside and out and then clean it thoroughly before they spray on the coating. Baked in a oven at 700-odd degrees cures it. After it's cooled the next morning they then tumble-polish it to a polished surface.

This coating is good to 2,000 deg Fahrenheit and is not meant to discolour much at that temp. I could have gone with the black "Turbo-X" coating but will reserve that for the turbo housing and exit soon.

I thought that job would be a little tricky as rusty old exhaust systems can be a pain to get apart after a while. All came apart beautifully, with nuts literally spinning off after being cracked. Got to love the quality.

This was only a one knuckle-scrape job - rating easy. The lower turbo housing support bracket didn't want to come off as one of the bolts was rounded off. Without if coming off it was tricky to slide the manifold down on its studs - and even trickier to re-mount the replacement.

Anyway - all good in the end. Torqued up, I started her up and idled for 20 minutes to burn off the penetrating fluid left behind. A bit of smoke but not much. I loved the sound of the system again - nice and rumbly but no "pfft-pfft-pfft" sounds from the cracks. The temperature of the manifold itself was noticeably cooler - and I mean by a lot. I could hold my fingers about 1/2" away from the rear of the manifold while it was running and although it felt very warm, it was nowhere near as hot as before.

I took it for a decent run at reasonable boost, and on my return popped the bonnet to see if the coating had changed colour. Not a bit! The 100mm steel blanking plate I manufactured to cover the old waste-gate port (now unused as I have a newer turbo fitted with an internal w/g) was a dark blue - indicating that temps were up there inside the manifold. The temperature under the bonnet was, as expected, much cooler, as was the bonnet itself.

I'm happy with the result. Temps are lower and it looks great. I can't wait to do the rest.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
The 16v manifolds are End-of-The-World-in-Valhalla strong compared to the 8v ones, turbo and non-turbo.

Your engine bay looks amazing Omaroo.

Looks like you found a good set of injector lines and a CIS boot too!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Nico & Drew

All original Drew :) It needs a lot of work still, so a good clean-up can be done when she's finally stripped for restoration.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts