Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I've been noticing the rust on my c900 a lot recently. It's the worst on the right front wheel well. I took some pictures. As you can see the other wheel wells aren't TOO bad, and the under side of the car isn't too bad either. And inside the spare tire area, isn't too bad either. I want to know if it's REALLY worth it to get all of the rust fixed. The paint is also bad in places. Some REALLY bad scratches and old HARDENED on pitch/sap. I would love to get it repainted black or red. But I don't know how much it's really worth to put money into it. Maybe I should do all of this after I make a little more money, or maybe I should just drive it as is until it dies. Also, the body/trim panels are off at EVERY wheel well. How can I take all of these off, and get the trim pieces to clip back onto the wheels wells? Pics below...

from a distance after just getting washed it doesn't look too bad (it'll look even better when I get the summer tires on the 9000 directionals on it next month!! :D )

rust:

(this is the worst wheel - right front wheel well)

(trunk)

(left side - not TOO bad)

(right side - worse - only on the front though)

(underneath - ok)

(worst paint scratches - didn't take pics of other ones or the pitch)

(out of whack panels)

Any ideas guys? And what is it worth? I LOVE the car!! It does have 271k miles on it. And I think what it REALLY needs is a new headliner. Any ideas on how to do that as well?

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
If you keep the car, deal with the rust issues first, headliner can wait. Where you really need to Luik I'd the lower control arm mounting points in the front. They're infamous for failing there.

For the trunk: POR-15 is your friend. Get some and put a coat in there.

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Keep it as a beater and drive it till it dies. A rusty 20 year old na auto is not worth the investment.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
i was kinda thinking the same thing. Rust is a huge bitch, clean it up and slow it, por 15 it and drive it for a few more years, you'll be sick of it by then and want something fast.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would LOVE to get a 2 door turbo. Even if it's a 2door NA as long as my next one has a 5-speed I'll be happy. I think I'm gonna look at the control arms later, snap some pics, and ask you guys about them. Can I pick up at POR-15 at AutoZone or NAPA?

my dream:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Deal with the head liner by either pulling it out or at least put a "wire" truss across the area over your head. It can fail in a stiff wind, like with the windows down. It may blind you when it fails and do not ask how I learned this. :rolleyes:

A real shop here in NJ will charge (brace yourself), $250 "a panel", as in a door for repair and paint, possibly a bit cheaper if some "panels" like the hood just need sand and prime.

Anywhere, to change color is a lot more. They have to do the doors and under hood and mask ... labor consuming stuff.

Maaco? Well "Bondo 101" by yourself, but what of possibly some critical rust? Check the shock and steering areas.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How do I drop the head liner out of there? When I unscrew all the grab handles and visors and stuff, will it drop out? How is it held in there.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I had Rayco do it and it was only like $75 bucks but that was a 1984 900 in like 1989.

At the time I just duct taped it to get home because I thought they would spot repair it. The fellow said that putting it back up just does not work.

They use adhesive to put it up and there are posts on the merits of a very specific 3-M product on here.

Translation .. don't blame me but I would just yank it. Check with some guys on here if you can spot do it (I don't think so because the fabric and metal would have to be cleaned), try to brace it in the inteim.

The other day I devised something for my son and his 1996 Saab. I used the plastic from those driveway reflectors you put in the snow .. a long rod of plastic. With careful measurements, you can get it to fit. Grind about 1" of the tips flat so they can wedge into the trim surround and that may serve as a temporary "truss".

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I saw a thread on here a while ago about somebody spraying grey bedliner paint on it. In which case, I could just put a HUGE sheet down over everything and take off the handles and such, and scrape the yellowy foam stuff off and just spray it IN the car. And not get it on anything because of the sheet. My mom liked that idea. Or just scrape it all off, and paint it grey like the interior. I don't want to pull the WHOLE thing out, cause that will make the insulation and sound proofing worse. Frost will form on the roof inside in the winter.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
also: did anyone have any ideas on how to make those trim panels fit better??

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmm, no I haven't. Cause I was actually kinda scared that I would make them worse after I try to put them back on again. Haha

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
mySaab900, don't beat yourself up over your car's rust! For a 1991, I don't think the rust you have is that obscene. If I were you, I would touchup the front fender with por-15 and touchup paint, and leave it. Don't try to sand or grind away as it will just crumble. Other than that, the car looks pretty good for 20 years old! Definitely cleaner than most.

Lastly, like others have said: drive the car until it dies! A $1500 car is not really worth significant body work unless you can do everything yourself. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mySaab900, don't beat yourself up over your car's rust! For a 1991, I don't think the rust you have is that obscene. If I were you, I would touchup the front fender with por-15 and touchup paint, and leave it. Don't try to sand or grind away as it will just crumble. Other than that, the car looks pretty good for 20 years old! Definitely cleaner than most.

Lastly, like others have said: drive the car until it dies! A $1500 car is not really worth significant body work unless you can do everything yourself. Good luck.
Haha thanks Andrew!! I need to get some of the POR-15 stuff. Is it like a clear coat type rust repellent? Where can I pick it up? And I guess, I should probably break and buy some OEM touch up paint from thesaabsite.com right? Or could I just do a cheaper Duplicolor matching type job? I would prefer that actually.

That is ironic, cause I KBBd the c900 just for laughs, and it quoted it at about $750. Haha You have me a $750 advantage on the price of the car!! Haha

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Anyone else about the headliner? I should just take it out like TunnanXWD said though right? It'll be bad in rain and in the COLD Maine winter.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BTW: I just looked up my paint code on my Saab door panel. I have a plantana grey (#228) Saab c900. And my trim color is H41. Is there a cheaper paint alternative that OEM paint that will match this color?

·
Registered
369 Posts
OK, why not try the plastic rod deal with the driveway marker.

It can be a friction fit and tension in the arch (car and plastic), will keep it out of your eyes.

The other and biggest issue you have is rust around the steering and suspension points. This can get ugly at 50 miles an hour. Not with a Saab but I found that out with a Fiat.

I have seen enough 900's out there with some serious eastern rust. Cosmetics are one thing but keeping your ass out of something bad is #1. Get someone to look underneath. This is the NE rust belt and sadly they just didn't hold up.

From underneath, post some shots for these guys to look at. It may be fine.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, I'll go take some shots and put em up here for your criticism/advice ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts