Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 87 900 S. Ignition is fucked on it (have to start with a screwdriver). The previous owner tried swapping in another ignition cylinder but that didn't fix the problem.

So I have 2 ignition cylinders with different keys, and neither key works in the doors. So I can't lock the doors (don't have a key for them).

1 - Is it possible to give a dealer my VIN and have new door keys recut?

2 - How hard is it to swap door key cylinders?

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
It's an '87 900 S, what do you need to lock the doors for?*

Yeah, dealer can cut a key from the VIN I believe.

There are only like 25 different possible patterns for the c900 SAAB keys. I have a ring of them that I've grabbed from salvage yard cars over the years. That ring has saved my ass a few times. Most recently my son went back to college with the keys to his POS vert I was driving to work.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yes, you can go to the stealership and get a new one cut with the vin. Like turbo says though there are a limited number of patterns for saab 900 keys!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The cylinders are pretty easy to swap in the door. You may need to pull one out to get the code off it to get a key cut. Good chance that for a 87 it can't be done from the VIN

·
Registered
116 Posts
There are only like 25 different possible patterns for the c900 SAAB keys. I have a ring of them that I've grabbed from salvage yard cars over the years. That ring has saved my ass a few times. Most recently my son went back to college with the keys to his POS vert I was driving to work.
That's pretty cool. Could come in handy in a post-apocalyptic warzone.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
The cylinders are pretty easy to swap in the door. You may need to pull one out to get the code off it to get a key cut. Good chance that for a 87 it can't be done from the VIN
Good point to consider... the door locks may not be the originals. You could get a VIN-cut key that doesn't even fit. Pulling one to take to a dealer or locksmith might be a better idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts